Christian asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Are you allowed to purposely break ligaments in UFC?

Say I grab someone’s arm and quickly jerk it  against my body using all my power to try and snap their elbow. As opposed to putting them in a submission arm bar where they gradually feel more force hyperextending their elbow. I understand you can’t train this way, but are moves like this legal in a real UFC fight?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Ligaments can be strained, sprained or torn. You don't break a ligament. If that is your purpose you need to think about, what comes around goes around. If you are purposely trying to tear a ligament on an opponent, your next opponent will probably try to do the same thing to you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Your question is all over the place. First,

you cannot break ligaments. Ligaments connect Muscle to bone. Ligaments can tear, but not break.  Second, UFC and all organized fighting organizations have rules and refs to keep serious injuries from happening. Anyone obviously trying to injure their opponent is likely to be disqualified.

• 1 month ago

Im not sure but theres alot of stuff thats legal that fighters dont use like striking to the throat is legal

• 1 month ago

With any sport associated with physical combat, there are some rules. Permanent damage and/or injury isn't ideal when it can literally end someone's career. Stomping on someone's toes is too easy, and usually forbidden, because vthe fight needs to look good. Nobody wants to see the master of cheap shots even if such a person would be one of the greatest fighters in the world. That's the kind of fighting we'd teach girls and children. Men need to test strength and endurance so certain moves are forbidden. This includes permanently disabling moves 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

yes u win due to injury

• 2 months ago

While joint injuries and bones breaking *can* happen and are legal only because it can be difficult to determine intent or not; fighters tend to not try to permanently injure their opponent. It just makes you look like a bad sportsman and can affect your own career. If you become known as the jerk joint beaker no one will agree to fight you. The UFC bouts are agreed upon by both fighters before-hand.

The other thing is fighters train to go the distance and conserve energy. Training by going all out on one move that may or may not wok in your favor might put you in a position where you are tired and your opponent now has the upper hand.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I've seen it happen, but I don't think it's intentional. An elbow can end a career. You train around them, you know them. Why take away their lively hood?

But, it's a full contact sport and sh1t happens.

• 2 months ago

i dont think so, you could probably go to jail for that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.