Working under my contracted hours?

I'm a retail supervisor and have been getting under my contracted hours. My contract says "Your normal hours of work are 37.5 hours per week with an unpaid break of 30 minutes

if working 6+ hours per day, or 1 hour if working 7+ hours per day. These normal hours of work may be varied to meet the needs of the business." but I have been getting 25-30 hours a week. Where do I stand on this? I have been going months and months being under paid.

UK based.

That's all the work they have. Though your contract says this, its not a guarantee. I suggest you assume this isn't going to change and either find another job (possibly a 2nd job) or live with the reduced hours.

You can always ask about gertting more hours but if they simply don't have the work, then this is all you are getting.

• A.J.

I'm in the USA, but contract law in English language is universal. That is, the words of the contract get applied.

"Normal" is not a well defined term, but if it is months as "not normal", then this is a breach of contract by your employer. You are not "underpaid". You are underemployed. That is not the same thing. By the contract, you can have weeks of less than 37.5 hours, and even zero weeks, but if the standard has been 25-30 there is a breach by the employer on this point. It is not likely you can recover money.

This is a legal technical point of the word "normal". Notify your employer in writing of their breach of contract. Attach data by week of what your hours have been.

Your options are-

Employer can make a payment to you as negotiated.

Employer can immediately increase your hours to "normal" for a very extended period.

You can seek other employer as the breach is a technical termination as not fulfilling his terms. You may want to speak with an appropriate government agency or lawyer-solicitor familiar with employment contracts. This was a bad contract you signed. It should have stated a minimum number of hours also.

• Tavy

UK answer.

Your contract says it all and you signed it. Your hours have been reduced as there is not enough work for you.

Perfectly legal I'm afraid.

Speak with your manager...cite your contract...

"These normal hours of work may be varied to meet the needs of the business."

Translation:   We can schedule you for whatever the hell we want.

Employment contracts are written to protect the employer, not the employee.

"I have been going months and months being under paid."   You aren't being underpaid.   You haven't worked as much as you would like.  Two different things.   Be very careful about making false accusations.

It may be time to read your contract and see what it says about voluntary resignation.

• A

As you stated here, the contract stipulates :" Normal hours of work may be varied to meet the needs of the business." There is no guarantee of 37.5 hours per week, As far as being underpaid, if you are being paid for your ACTUAL hours worked, you are not being underpaid.