Why does my transformer get burning hot when not in use?

I have a transformer from a microwave. A few of them. I replaced the secondary windings on them for my own nefarious purposes. I am having a problem with the primary windings getting extremely hot when I am not drawing any current from it at all, basically when it's idle, but plugged in. When i connect the secondary to a load it actually runs cooler. I feel like there is some component missing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

you wound the new secondary incorrectly, or you have shorted turns. or you have too high a voltage for the insulation, and you are getting arcing. 

no load and the secondary voltage is higher, and you get more arcing, more losses. 

Make sure you correctly wired your transformer. Also, make sure you are not inputting more power than what the transformer is rated for.  

Check to see if it is oscillating at high frequencies.

Sounds like the primary is running at a Voltage higher than its rating. That's about the only thing that would increase the heating.

The heat comes from iron loss and copper loss that are existed from most transformer. Microwave oven transformer was designed ever running in idling all the time

< I replaced the secondary windings on them for my own nefarious purposes >

You screwed up.