Why does my transformer get burning hot when not in use?

I have a transformer from a microwave. A few of them. I replaced the secondary windings on them for my own nefarious purposes. I am having a problem with the primary windings getting extremely hot when I am not drawing any current from it at all, basically when it's idle, but plugged in. When i connect the secondary to a load it actually runs cooler. I feel like there is some component missing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

you wound the new secondary incorrectly, or you have shorted turns. or you have too high a voltage for the insulation, and you are getting arcing. 

no load and the secondary voltage is higher, and you get more arcing, more losses. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Make sure you correctly wired your transformer. Also, make sure you are not inputting more power than what the transformer is rated for.  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Check to see if it is oscillating at high frequencies.

• 2 months ago

Sounds like the primary is running at a Voltage higher than its rating. That's about the only thing that would increase the heating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The heat comes from iron loss and copper loss that are existed from most transformer. Microwave oven transformer was designed ever running in idling all the time

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

< I replaced the secondary windings on them for my own nefarious purposes >

You screwed up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.