Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 6 months ago

Why do British people think only Americans call it soccer?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Some people take a very ‘superior’ attitude for this issue. At last Count eleven nations call the game soccer. In these countries, they already have a national game with the word ‘football’ in it.

Having grown up with both American games, it takes me about five seconds to figure out which game someone is talking about. I wish people could just get over it! 

Soccerref

• 3 months ago

Soccer is the short form of "Association Football". 

Most countries use the term occasionally, but everyone knows the game is really "football". The only other true "football" is the Australian game. 

• Axiom
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Because it's the truth. We never hear of an 'American Football' world cups do we,because it is something not to be taken seriously. It's Rugby in a costume.

• 5 months ago

Because their version of football is rugby.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Why is football called "football" in America when it looks more like rugby and you use your hands 99% of the time instead of your foot! 

Maybe American "football" should be called RUGBY!!! or maybe "American Rugby". Soccer on the other hand is the real football game since 99% of the time you use your foot and is rightfully called FOOTBALL by 90% of the world sport fan.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not only British people think that and not even only Europeans. And there are very few other nations beside Americans who call it soccer.

• J
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Ignorance, some of them. It was also called soccer in UK during my youth, around the 1950's.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Lon is correct, Canadians and Australians call it soccer too.

• 6 months ago

Do they?

Basically, nations that seriously play soccer call it Football.

The rest of us call it Soccer. Or Rocket League.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

We don't....Canadians and Australians call it that too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.