Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 2 months ago

Have I been to a lot of places?

This is a stupid question but I need your opinion. I am 19, and got back from Hawaii 2 months ago. I have in total travelled 5 times to the USA. My boyfriend that helped me travel is no longer with me. Sometimes I worry I haven’t travelled as much as I should. I’m scared I will loose the window to travel even though I don’t plan of having kids until I’m 30, so over 10 years from now. I want to go to Europe and Greece but only issue is not alone. So I wanna wait until I can go with a future boyfriend. I’ve been to Florida twice, Hawaii twice, Los Angeles twice, and New York once through out my whole life. Have I travelled a lot, and should I panic at the thought of taking a year or so to stick around home and save money? 

• Foofa

You shouldn't "panic" as most people have to take time and save up between trips. But I wouldn't necessisarily wait for a future boyfriend who may not come around for another five years. Consider looking into some of the travel friends sites to find a non romantic traveling companion.

That's more travel than some people your age. There really isn't a "window" for travel if it's something you want to do. I was somewhat older than you when I started international travel and I've been to 60 some countries - most of them after having our children.

• drip

Geez you do not need a boyfriend to travel! 

https://theblondeabroad.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-...

https://www.women-traveling.com/TravelCalendar.asp...

https://www.claimcompass.eu/blog/solo-female-trave...

Look for tours and group travel.  It is ridiculous to wait on getting a boyfriend in order to travel.

Many US teens haven’t traveled half as much as you.  

Well, let's see. I grew up in Toronto, Canada. We had a cottage a couple of hours' drive out of town so I'd been there a lot. When I was 13 we went on a family camping trip to Quebec. When I was 15, I visited Vancouver BC with my mother.

When I was 16 I went to Ottawa to visit a friend. When I was 19,  I moved to Vancouver. So by the time I was your age I had never been out of Canada. Never occurred to me to worry about it. There is no 'should' in the matter of travel. You do it if you want to and if you can. That's all there is to it.

What's your rush? If you live a normal lifespan, you have at least another 60 years in which to travel. Don't you know any older people who travel? My mother went to China a few years ago. She was 84 then. In the last 20 years she has been all kinds of places.

Panic at the thought of staying home for a year? WHY? If you panic at that, you're going to have a hard life, full of panic.

• pengu2 months agoReport

Thank you, you have reassured me I have no worries about it. I often fear I will miss out and grow old but that’s too irrational to think