Why would a Christian want to drink alcohol?

Favorite Answer

Some people claim to like the taste. I never understood that. I've tried various products and as for taste, I don't like any. It's awful. So some mix it with other things like soda, juices, etc to mask the taste. Most people opt for that buzz that alcohol provides. Some carry it to the extreme of drunkenness. Even with a "buzz" you are experiencing a degree of drunkenness. And like the TV commercial says, "buzzed driving is drunk driving." For that reason, states developed a 0.08% blood alcohol content as a legal definition for drunkenness. A couple of beers ingested within a short time say 30 min can do that. Alcohol affects different people differently. My wife gets drunk off one beer so she never drinks at all. My dad could drink most of a bottle of whiskey and still drive without signs of drunkenness. It depends on how recently you've eaten, the types of foods, etc. 

I agree with you that I see no productive reason for a Christian to drink alcohol. It is a central nervous system depressant, and therefore offers a measure of relaxation. But its also poisonous to every body system. There is a song lyric that says, "I'm going to drink til I can't move a toe." Now thats relaxation. Some people literally relax themselves to death with alcohol. Alcohol sneaks up on you. By the time you realize you've had too much, its too late by then.  My dad died at the age of 50 due to alcohol poisoning. His liver gave out on him due to alcohol toxicity.  I have nothing good to say about alcohol. A warm bath and massage will also help you relax. In the early 1900s it was prohibited and then heavily regulated. Look up "Prohibition years." 

Visit an AA meeting and ask how many people there thought they could manage alcohol. All will agree. Ask how many set out to become alcoholics. None will agree. 

• Doug

I drink occasionally because it helps me unwind after a long day. I never get drunk though. The Bible only condemns drunkenness, so be careful you don't come up with your own legalistic standard that isn't supported by Scripture. If you choose to abstain completely from alcohol, you are free to make that decision. In fact, if your conscience tells you to abstain, then you should indeed abstain. Just don't insist that everyone else become a teetotaler. Read Romans 14.

Do you know where you are going when you die? Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

Because it tastes good? I like beer, rum, bourbon, etc... but I don't get drunk with any of it.

1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Before chlorination, the ancients used to cut water with some wine.  The alcohol in the wine killed many of the germs found in river and lake water.

Also, as long as one doesn't get drunk or cause a fellow Christian to stumble (Eph 5:18; Rom 14:21), there's no prohibition in the Bible against drinking.  I like spicy crawfish; but don't like "spicy" drink.  Others don't like spicy crawfish, but do like their drink to have a little kick with it.

Because they haven't learned to cast their cares on the Lord. 

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)
  • Paul

Why not? It's a perfectly normal drink, which Jesus not only drank, but used in instituting the holiest sacrament of His Church. It can be abused of course, as can food, money, sex, and many other things. But that doesn't make the things themselves evil.

There is nothing wrong or sinful by drinking alcohol. But getting Drunk is what is sinful.

likewise:

There is nothing wrong with being Homosexual, But Homosexual ACTS are what is an abomination.

There is nothing wrong with being Heterosexual, But Heterosexual ACTS of fornication, adultery are what is an abomination.

Blessed by a priest, it's the easiest way to be possessed by a holy spirit.

To change their view on reality.

~

If it was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for me, after all he turned water into wine at a wedding.

To feel the euphoric effects, like everybody else who drinks it.