Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

How long does it take to lose 20 pounds?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • k w
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

about 90 days or so..........

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

you have more loss time to lose than time to gain. 4months -20lbs. Goal

• 4 months ago

Everyone loses weight at a different pace, and the best and healthiest way to lose weight is using the Ketogenic diet or Atkins. I prefer Keto. I have been eating this way for five years. I lost all my weight the first year.

Dr. Josh Axe wrote a book on Keto - if you're interested.

• 4 months ago

It depends on the calorie deficit.  You need to know the number of calories your body is using now (current BMR) and the number of calories you are consuming.

A pound of fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories.  If you created a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories, it will take about a week to burn off a pound of fat.  At that rate it would take 20 weeks, or about 5 months, to lose 20 pounds.  If your daily calorie deficit is bigger, fat loss will be faster.

A healthy fat loss goal is 1-2 pounds a week.  In the early weeks of a diet, it is normal to lose more than that (waste, retained water, etc.).  People who are 100+ pounds overweight can lose greater amounts faster that people who only have a few pounds to lose.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

That would depend on any number of factors; including your starting weight, diet, physical activity level, and any number of health issues.  For example, a person who weighs 350 lbs beginning a reduced calorie diet could lose 20 lbs very quickly, while a person who weighs 180 doing the same diet could take considerably longer.

But, on average, it is judged safe to aim for a weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week.  So roughly 15 weeks would be a fair estimate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.