Jesse
Lv 5
Jesse asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

What type of bullet would be best for over 1000k meters for a .308?

20 inch barrel, 1:10” twist, a bullet that would have enough put down power for a medium size game. Not going to take the shot!!! Just using it as an example, my plan of use would be for a “societal worst case scenario”. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • BBean
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

One of my pet peeves is the omission of decimals, prefixes, and suffixes, however,obviously a typo. Although the .308 is still supersonic at 1000 yards the spin is slowing down and depending on conditions still fairly stable with ballistic tip 180 grain bullet. More than enough to kill a deer. Even if the bullet began tumbling or in a slight yaw IMHO would not venture off path enough to miss medium size game if elevation and windage were correct for that distance. 

• No other at all in my opinion

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

barrel is too short but I would go for 190gn if trying it out

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First off you are talking about 630 miles.  Assuming you are trying to impress people with your failure of using the metric system we are talking 1100 yds.  With a high bc target bullet, you are talking around 45 feet of drop on the bullet and only about 450 ft lbs of energy at that range.  Probably not enough energy dump to kill a medium size animal.  A target bullet is not a good choice for killing game animals so your are going to have to go with a hunting bullet, which will give more drop and less energy.  If you are shooting food at 1100 yds with a .308 you need to acquire a taste for ground hogs and such or move up to a .300 Win Mag or some other higher velocity heavy bullet.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

One million meters is a helluva shot dude. 

Seriously, 1000 meter shots are going to require an excellent ballistic coefficient and your best BC's come from long, heavy bullets. 

so...180gr to 200gr BTOTM should fill your bill.

Source(s): Boat Tail Open Tip Match
  • 2 months ago

1000 meters is pretty much the limit of the .308 Winchester.   For shots out that far, I would recommend a 175 gr Sierra Matchking, like you get with Federal Gold Medal Match.  168 gr might work out to 1000 yards, but 1000 meters is pushing it as that is about the range it is going subsonic.

If long range is your SHTF jam, then I would suggest 6.5 Creedmoor 140ish gr instead of .308 winchester. The 6.5 CM has better ballistics, so even though it is lighter it will arrive at 1000 yards with a higher velocity, less drop and less effect by wind.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/65-creedmoor-vs-308...

• ...Show all comments
    • curmudgeon55
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

SHTF incidents, then ammo supply is critical. Newest cartridge but no available on hardware store shelf is useless after box in pocket is empty. .308 is very good choice for that reason- so is old 30-30

• 2 months ago

the lower case letter "k" means x1000

For example if someone says they earn $40k per year, it means they earn $40,000

and the measurement km is kilometers, which is 1000 meters

so you are asking what bullet you can use to shoot 1000 x 1000 meters: that is 1 million meters, or 1,000 Kilometers, or about 621 miles.

That's like trying to kill a deer in Dallas Texas with a shot fired from Nashville Tennessee

If you can't even get basic terminology correct, there is no way you know enough about long range shooting to drop a deer from 1000 meters which is the distance I think you meant to ask about.

Frankly, if you are starving to death in an SHTF scenario, you're holding a .308 rifle and you see an animal 1,000 meters away, your best chance of survival is to save your ammo for a better shot, barter it with someone who has food, or use it to shoot someone else and take their food. It won't matter what type of bullet you have, you're not going to hit and kill anything from that distance unless you were a military sniper - and then you wouldn't be asking strangers on the internet for bullet selection for 621 mile shots.

• Jesse
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Bullet selection is my next step, then using a crony for MV. I don’t know everything, but up until reloading and cartridge selection that’s where I’m at. 

• Quinn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

1) When you put a "k" at the end of a number, it means that number is in thousands, so 1000k meters = 1,000,000 meters = 621.4 miles. Assuming that is not what you meant, then 1000 meter is a little over 1000 yards which means it is not about bullet, but your skill and how much experience you have training with a specific ammo..

2) In a "societal worst case scenario", it would be a very unintelligent thing to take a 1000 meter shot and attract attention.

3) In the SHTF scenario, you are not going to be living off the land hunting for food because unless you live in the wilderness with no major towns or cities nearby everybody near you will be doing the same thing and scaring off the games that might be in area.

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

To point #3 - I've heard that during the great depression squirrels and many common species of birds were hunted to near extinction because everyone with a pellet rifle, .22 rifle, shotgun or animal trap was killing them as a source of food, you could completely forget about deer and elk

• 2 months ago

Clarify here,,1000 Km is just about the max for .308 and with a heavy bullet.

That is about the distance they go subsonic and go to shiit.

I doubt you will be taking game at that range, hard enough putting holes in targets and you need one hell of a good scope.

And that with a 22 inch barrel

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No .308 load on the planet can reach 1,000,000 meters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.