Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

I want to learn how do draw, but I don’t know where to start?

I want to learn how to draw but I don’t know where to start. How did you guys start? How did you practice? What exactly do I draw to get master this skill? I would try to pull out my sketchbook and try to start practicing, but I never know what do draw, and I feel stuck.   

I would suggest drawing from reference. Draw images of still life. Draw images of people in motion. Draw images of ballerinas. It all helps. Don't start off with stylized art. When you stylize something, you are distorting reality, but you have to have a firm grasp of reality in order to distort it effectively. Even Pablo Picasso had a firm understanding of shape and the way things look. Another tip I have to give is...practice. You need to do it as much as you can. This is cliche, but practice makes perfect. The last tip I have to give you, is for you to enjoy it. If you don't enjoy art, then why do it? Don't do it to be famous. Don't do it for cash. If you can sit in a room and do it for free, and still enjoy what you're doing, then you should.

You START by starting. Sketch anything. Doodle, fill the pages with stuff. It doesn't matter what you draw, you're basically training your hand to do what your eyes see. Expect 90% to be bad. Keep the best 10% and keep drawing. Over time you'll see how much you improve by looking at your best 10%.

• John

Don't laugh, it's much harder than you probably think, and the basis for much in art:

https://www.arttutor.com/blog/201302/how-draw-sphe...

• Riah

Follow this person's questionable but effective advice: :D

https://twitter.com/satsukilovemail/status/1157134...

If you're starting, begin by searching for the people you want to emulate. Would Rembrant be a good model for you? or Mucha? where do you want to go? Do you like anime style of drawing?

Second, learn by doing master studies. That means copying their works but do not claim it as your own. Learn from what they are doing.

Third, list down concepts you want to do. Do you want to draw a cyborg bird? or an angel? whatever you want

Fourth apply what you've learned from step 2.

Fifth, do this over and over. Learn from your mistakes practice

• Tim D

Draw something you can see, not something from your imagination.

Draw what you can see, looking carefully at an object, and do not draw what you think should be seen but you cannot actually see.

Do not start with an outline, try to draw an internal skeleton and build out from that.

Get a sketchbook and draw the things around ou object and people the landscapes. Carry the sketchbook around with you and whenever you have spare time draw. Measure the proportion of things by extending your pencil or brush and placing your finger whee you see the junction of lines also use tow straight edges with your arms extended measure the angle of things that you are drawing. Try to draw geometric shapes freehand like squares, rectangles and then put them in perspective. See if you can draw a circle within a square using the diagonal lines to the which finds the center then draw the horizontal and vertical axis as guidelines to make as perfect a circle as you can then put it in perspective and you can draw an ellipse. Also put rectangles in perspective. .

• mokrie

You start and practice by drawing what you see. Go to the mall and draw people you see. Just fast rough sketches as they won't hold still long. Start getting the feel of fast outlines of forms. If there is a hobby store they may have art pamphlet type books that show anatomy and animal anatomy-also books that show how to draw scenery perspective etc.

It's not going to look good at first. The only way to get better is experience