Can humans ever be genetically modified to fly?

I mean like birds. They have two wings, and soar the sky. I was wondering if it was possible with humans?

I have an idea which might make this possible.

1. Genetically engineering, hybrid humans that are crossed with birds which can take flight, and fly long distances, such as from Australia to USA, without taking much breaks.

2. OR attaching equipment on humans that can make flight possible. However, I think this would require very advanced technology. and maybe a little dangerous, e.g. if they fell off or something, and people would fall from the sky.

I think it would be lovely if I could fly.

And for the fact, that the human body, might be too heavy. What about the modern boeing? aircraft. Aircrafts, are heavy, carrying a lot of passengers, the plane itself and luggage, yet it still manages to fly. I think it is simply marvellous, the invention of the plane. So, if we can invent that, why not invent humans that can fly. It is not too far off, to think about. However, we would need a lot of advances in genetic engineering technology. And maybe ethical issues as well. 

But Yeah I can definitely see the problem with humans being too heavy to fly. 

no not in our time maybe in a thousand years

the metabolic activity of the human body would have to be increased hundred -fold to power wings for flight; so, heart and lungs would have to be bigger, also.

• jj2 months agoReport

nikki you are very snart, can you email me and help me, tjoseph210@yahoo

• Dixon

The size of wing humans need to glide in a moderate wind or thermals is huge, eg hang glider or paraglider. The muscles needed to make them flap and fly up under their own power is impossible. Note that wingsuits descend very rapidly all the time.

Try it under lower gravity.

• Cowboy

LOL it would take wings 50 yards across and chest muscles that would rival an elephant's to get us off the ground.

Try paragliding. It enables you to land deliberately (only you need some eviromental conditions to carry out the take-off).

The simple answer is no, it is highly unlikely. The average person is far too heavy to be able to develop the musculature to generate enough lift to fly even if he were able to grow wings. Look at chickens for example. They have massive( generally 1/3 of their entire body weight) muscles that make up the breast and cannot sustain flight for more than a few seconds at best. The average one weighs 5-6 pounds. What would it require for a 150-pound human to be able to do just that? Probably 30-40% of their entire body weight would be required at a minimum.

UPDATE: waterpear123

Now you just sounding silly comparing the flight of a human to that of a commercial jetliner. Each engine on the current model of a 747 ( of which there are 4) generates  63,300 pounds of thrust (28,710 kg) on the current model. The diameter of the 747 engine cowling is 8 feet 6 inches (2.6 m)Combined they allow the jet to reach a cruising speed of around Mach .80. In contrast, a human would need to produce all the power required by the use of muscles.

Might as well call the tooth fairy