Is it worth staying in an airport hotel before my flight?

I will soon be flying out from London Gatwick Airport, the flight departs at 06:50 am. I live 1hr 30 mins away from Gatwick. Should I go up the night before I spend approx £80 to stay in one of the airport hotels or just arrive a few hours early and sleep in the departure lounge?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • alan P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would and I used to live nearer to Gatwick than you do

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Not unless you plan to park at the hotel. If you are away for a week or more, airport parking is very expensive possibly £80. Many airport hotels offer up to 2 weeks free parking if you stay the night. If you would have spent £80 or so parking, the hotel is effectively free.

• 2 months ago

Nobody can say whether it's worth it for YOU.

I have done this myself a few times, for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you can't get held up in unexpected traffic. I usually check in as early as possible, to relax and get my full value for money, with swimming  pool, a drink or so, a meal.

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Only you can determine that.  Only you know what that time and extra sleep is worth to you.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Depends on what you're used to.  I sleep in a lot of airports so I'll just leave it at that

• 2 months ago

A 90 minute drive to Gatwick is a bit far so if you can afford it, go ahead and spend the money.  Otherwise you probably will be too excited to sleep the night before and will wake up early.  That is what usually happens to be when I have 6:00 am flight.  My body wakes me up at 2:00 am and I end up heading out to the airport by 3:00 am.

• 2 months ago

Personally, if you've got the money, go in early and stay in the hotel overnight. Probably the only way I can get from Los Angeles to London now is to stay overnight in Boston or Atlanta or Newark or something.

• 2 months ago

I don't think you will get much sleep in the departure lounge, and you probably won't be able to check in and get access to the lounge before 0500, so I would either plan to arrive at check-in time or book a hotel room. There's Sofitel ££££ and Premier ££ at N terminal and Hilton at S. All are walk through to check-in. You can get a bundle with car parking that saves a few pounds.

• Norman
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A few hours early. If you leave it too late you just know the traffic will come to a standstill.

• 2 months ago

If it is an international flight you have to be there at 3.50am for check in and security. It is not worth paying for a hotel room for that short time. 

I would just go to bed very early at home the night before, get up at midnight or so, get to the ariport on time and snooze there. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.