Which U.S city had the most homicides this past year?

I'm always searching on which American cities had the most homicides TOTAL this past year in 2019 but I can never get a clear answer I'm only given the murder rate and crime rate of each city based on population size but I'm looking for the total number by head. Does anybody know the answer? I would assume larger cities like Chicago, LA, New York or Philadelphia 

Favorite Answer

You really should be able to figure this out yourself. Look up the population of each city and multiply by the homicide rate to find the total number of homicides.

Also, it wouldn't be the largest cities so much as the cities with the largest number of citizens. Cities with more immigrants have fewer homicides.

• Corey1 month agoReport

That's what I meant by "large cities" ,population size. But I was interested in The TOTAL NUMBER but I could never really clear in depth list on any journalist or news ranking. I never really looked that long or well in it so I thought I just ask.

All I could find is a sentence in an article from 2018 that said Chicago 'often records the highest absolute total killings each year'. Unfortunately it didn't say anything about numbers or any years when Chicago wasn't highest in numbers. I did find numbers by state for 2018, but not by city.  Unless there was some unusual thing like a mass shooting in a small town, I think we're safe to assume that the most killings happened in the places with the most people. https://www.statista.com/statistics/195331/number-...  but I can't find any more than that.

#1. St. Louis, Missouri. has a maximum number of homicides.

• Corey1 month agoReport

They had the highest murder rate based off population but not the highest total number of murders. NYC had over 300 homicides in 2019 where as st Louis had 153

St. Louis had the highest murder rate at 66 per 100,000, followed by Baltimore at 55 per 100,000.  Chicago is at 24 per 100,000 and Philadelphia at 20 per 100,000.  Los Angeles is only at 7 per 100,000 and surprisingly New York City is at 3 per 100,000.

For grand total violent crimes, only about 500 were reported in all of New York City and 700 in California while St. Louis had over 2,000!