Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 1 month ago

Can eating peanuts increasingly over time cure a  peanut allergy?

When I was little I had a mild allergy to peanuts. My lips would get a bit swollen and my throat would get itchy but that was about it. I loved peanuts so I would eat maybe 5-10 per day once or twice every week or so anyway. I now no longer have any reaction to peanuts. Is there a correlation between these 2 things or did I just happen to lose the allergy and me eating peanuts was playing with fire?

• k w
    Favorite Answer

you just may have swerved into something that works for you...can't argue with success, just be careful and don't over do it.......

• Lili

Yes, though it should really be done under the supervision of a physician.

Researchers are now using micro-doses of peanuts to cure severe peanut allergies.  Over time, these allow sufferers to build up a tolerance that eventually lets them eat peanuts and peanut products. However, because of the severity of many peanut allergies, the micro-doses must be taken, at least first, in the presence of a physician with an EpiPen standing by.

A mild allergy like yours could certainly have been cured by eating some peanuts every day.

• Andy C

For some....No. An allergy is an allergy. Once it has started, only the body can stop it.

Its not impossible but the odds of desensitizing yourself that way are low.   You would probably need to start with something like 1/1000 of a peanut and work your way up over the course of several months. 

I would not recommend doing that you could really make yourself sick. I mean talk with your doctor. I assume it’s possible but sometimes allergies can come and go.