Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 1 month ago

Can eating peanuts increasingly over time cure a  peanut allergy?

When I was little I had a mild allergy to peanuts. My lips would get a bit swollen and my throat would get itchy but that was about it. I loved peanuts so I would eat maybe 5-10 per day once or twice every week or so anyway. I now no longer have any reaction to peanuts. Is there a correlation between these 2 things or did I just happen to lose the allergy and me eating peanuts was playing with fire?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • k w
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    you just may have swerved into something that works for you...can't argue with success, just be careful and don't over do it.......

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Yes, though it should really be done under the supervision of a physician.

    Researchers are now using micro-doses of peanuts to cure severe peanut allergies.  Over time, these allow sufferers to build up a tolerance that eventually lets them eat peanuts and peanut products. However, because of the severity of many peanut allergies, the micro-doses must be taken, at least first, in the presence of a physician with an EpiPen standing by.

    A mild allergy like yours could certainly have been cured by eating some peanuts every day.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Andy C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    For some....No. An allergy is an allergy. Once it has started, only the body can stop it.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Its not impossible but the odds of desensitizing yourself that way are low.   You would probably need to start with something like 1/1000 of a peanut and work your way up over the course of several months. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    I would not recommend doing that you could really make yourself sick. I mean talk with your doctor. I assume it’s possible but sometimes allergies can come and go.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.