Is buying a used car generally like buying someones trash?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not always, but it certainly happens.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

NOT REALLY! uSed TOYOTAS and SUBARUS< AUDIS, BMWs and BENZ cars can be bought cheaply aFTER THEY HAVE ABOUT 100K MILEAGE ON THEM! i BOUGHT two BENZ cars for about 43k each! They were MARVELOUS! Got 32 MPG all day long, and VERY SECURE ini bad weather with MICHELIN GREENX tires! LOVES THEM! Used FORDS are also very good! It is GM that has made most CLUNKERS over the years that are made from TRASHY metals and loose bolts!

• 1 month ago

Can be.  Which is why you always want to ask about the vehicle's driving history.  But I have bought used "program" cars twice and was able to get my money's worth.  There is nothing quite like buying a new car but it is easily possible to get a good value with a used car that was lightly used or that was used as part of a program that required regular maintenance and checkups.

• 1 month ago

yes in the city, go to the country and buy one from owner

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nope.  Usually they clean the car first.  The used car has a long life.(more than 4 years).  Most of my cars were second or third hand cars. with 7-15 years on them. By the time I moved from that car to another used car their age was more like 25 years old and they were still running just fine. So I sold it to someone else who could not afford a new car....and they also drove it multiple years.(or crashed and burned) That is the usual end to a car. Or they are made into dog houses, chicken coops, or mobile storage units.

• 1 month ago

It depends on the previous owner or owners. Some take better care of their car than their home or health. Some just put gas in them and never do any scheduled maintenance or do it only after a problem shows up. Some are gently used, some are on their last legs when they reach the used car market. I don't entertain cars with mileage over 200K miles. Rarely entertain cars over 100K miles. Best older cars are the ones that have under 100K miles and have actually been serviced a few times a year. 

• Kaz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not always, but it certainly happens.  A smart buyer has the car checked out thoroughly with a mechanic - before handing over any money.  

• 1 month ago

Yes, sometimes. A used car can be in any condition from pristine like-new to pure junk. Since most used cars are sold "as-is", it is up to the buyer to determine that condition before the purchase. After the purchase is too late.

• 1 month ago

i don't think so. buying second hand cars and selling them after refurbishing them is a business. if you have a good sense of the cars, you can always buy a low-value car, add value to it and then resell it for a margin.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do not feed the troll.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.