Will my SSI go up if I move to a state where the cost of living is a lot higher?

Like say I am living in North Carolina and I move to Florida where everything there is very expensive and I can't afford to live there on the current amount they're giving me.

so I take it you want to move to a more expensive State just to have your check go up which may or may not happen. you can barely afford to where live at now I assume. ideally you want to move to a cheaper state.

A friend of mine who is on SSI move to Missouri once they reduced her check by $200.  yet she was able to get food stamps which pretty much put it back to where she was. When she came back to California they took the food stamps away and increased her benefit amount because that time keep on California on SSI could not get food stamps.  Now if your on SSI you can get food stamps on SSI.  Probably won't be much maybe $50.  And a lot of people confuse SSI with SSDI.

Nope, sorry - it does not.

Yes You can get up to the maximum SSI benefit payable in your state if you live in a public shelter for up to 6 months within a 9 month period.

Which states have the highest disability benefits to supplement? Of the states that offer supplements to social security benefits for the disabled ... specific living conditions, household income and any adjustment to the cost of living

No, it doesn't go up (or down) if you move.

Nope. SSI is a national program. You can maximize your money by living in less expensive places. It's your choice. 

• Nancy

No. SSI doesn't go up. Some states have a state supplement that is paid not by the federal government but by the state government to SSI beneficiaries as a result of their cost of living being higher and to prevent people already at the poverty line falling below the poverty line by living in their state where cost of living is higher.

I'm not sure that Florida does have that. I doubt it because Florida is known as being a low-tax state, so I can't imagine they have the money to give out state supplements. I know California gives out a state supplement.

I lived in Florida. Cost of living in some parts of Florida is higher, but in most of Florida, it is not. In fact, throughout most of Florida, cost of living is quite low. My cost of living in West Palm Beach, for example, was far lower than my cost of living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. That's because for more than half the year, we have to pay heat bills in Michigan. While air conditioning is a must in Florida, the cost of air conditioning is a fraction of what it costs to heat a home in Michigan over the winter months.

Also, rents in Florida, even in West Palm Beach, which is part of the megaopolis that starts in Miami, were comparable to rents in other places I've lived-- Michigan, Nebraska, Indiana, and Kentucky.

I did a year at Duke in North Carolina and transitioned to working at the Durham National Computer Center that the federal government built there for another year after finishing at Duke. While my housing was covered, I considered buying and staying there. I can tell you that home prices were much higher than in Florida, which would mean rent prices would be higher, too, though, again I didn't rent and was never actually in the renters' market, so can't attest to that for sure, but I can't imagine that higher cost of homes wouldn't translate into higher rents. But I'm not refuting what you're saying because maybe that's not typical of North Carolina but only of the Research Triangle of Durham-Raleigh-White Chapel Hill, and maybe you're from somewhere else in North Carolina.

Anyway, I really don't think you're going to find it to be more expensive to live in Florida so long as you don't move to a high-dollar area, like Coral Gables or Homestead or Boca Raton. Like if you move to Flamingo Park in West Palm or to Belle Glade or to Hiahleah, it won't cost more to live there than anywhere else. My two-bedroom apartment in Hialeah was cheaper and nicer than the two-bedroom apartment I rented a couple months later when I moved back up to Michigan, for example.

And FYI -- there are hundreds of thousands of people on SSI in Florida who are making ends meet, albeit barely because SSI only gives you just enough to barely get by, but you can make it. If you're overly concerned, you might try applying for Section 8 or for subsidized housing before you go so that where you move into when you get there will have extremely low rent or maybe even no rent.

No, it doesn't matter where you live.

No.