Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Why isn't Stephen King as good a writer now as he was when he was much younger?

I love Stephen King's new books, but they are nowhere near as good as his earlier work like 'Salem's Lot, the Shining, Pet Sematary and IT?

The best Stephen King book is "The Stand"

He has allowed his urge to put forth political messages to overcome his urge to tell a good story.  You could always tell King's politics from his fiction, but in the past, it was done much more subtly and you had to think for a while before you really saw the politicizing.  Now, he basically just writes propaganda screeds with a little bit of narrative thrown in to try to keep you reading.

I agree with you. Writers burn out. They get old. They've said everything they have to say about X topic and are bored with repeating it. In many cases, when a writer gets old, and they're failing, I'd still rather read one of their lesser books than a bad book by someone younger, but I understand your disappointment. There are a dozen good books of his to re-read over your life, at least. And his son writes so like him, you'll have those books for many years more.

I still think king writes great, its just what you think

I heard he had some sort of brain thing. Maybe a car accident? My mom says his books havent been the same since.

He's running out of ideas. His endings have always been 'weak', and he kills off any character that's a 'good policeman' in every book.

his new books are absolute nonsense, no where near the excellence of his old works.

• Zac Z

What is good is largely subjective.

Personally, I love his supernatural stuff and even though I'm less familiar with his recent work, the novels of his I love most are older ones.

Yet, there are folks out there who are less into horror and/or supernatural fiction who certainly welcome a move away from the genre - and these folks would probably disagree with your initial assessment.

That said, I read "Joyland" a while ago which has practically no supernatural elements (the ones that one might argue for are debatable) and I still enjoyed his writing. The novel still was entertaining. Yet, I would have preferred one in the old vein had I had the choice.

So, I'd say he's still a very good writer but the plots tend to be less appealing to me than earlier.

Yet, luckily, he hasn't abandoned his roots entirely as a good portion of his most recent work is still firmly grounded in the genre (Doctor Sleep, Sleeping Beauties, The Institute).

• Mark

Because he has shifted gears to more suspense than "supernatural horror", as Dean Koontz and John Saul have done.

• Lili

Like many writers, King wants to experiment, not be locked into a single genre or mode of writing.  You may not think his more recent work is "as good," but that's because you simply want to see him produce a certain type of book, and you don't like the other types he has written. You want him to write to your own preferences, and you think your preferences are superior in quality.  

But literary quality isn't actually dependent on mere type or genre.  I may be upset when a mystery writer I like decides to write a straight novel instead of another mystery, but I am a sufficiently experienced reader (and a sufficiently published author myself) to be able to perceive whether or not that straight novel is any good.