Anonymous

Conversation Help?!?

I want to bring my crossing guard hot cocoa and talk to her for a little bit. She's older and has been volunteering as a crossing guard every day since I was in elementary school, and I'm in high school now! Any conversation starters? Ideas? Anything?! Please and thank you :)

Favorite Answer

What a thoughtful idea!   She will love this.  It won't be hard to start the convo, because all you have to do is say what you said here.  It will mean the world to her, I promise.  Your problem might be timing, though.  You wouldn't want to approach here during a time when kids are gathering around her and she needs to be paying attention to her "job".  If you can figure that part out and find a lull, that's when you'd do it.  And once you say what you said here, she'll respond and you're off to a good start.  The hardest part of convos is how to begin them.  It's so much easier once this happens!

Just go over to her and ask if she would like something to drink when she isn't directing the children across the street.

I would write her a note.  I would not bring her any gift, including cocoa.

She volunteers? They are paid in my area.

ask her how she is and hand her the cocoa

- ask for directions

-compliment

- weather

-her life

etc

Tell her she has been your cross guard since elementary school and you really appreciate her.  Ask how long she has been doing this. Does she like the job? Her favorite part of the job.  Her worst part of the job,etc... 

• Jerry

Trying to socialize with her while she's on duty might not work out well. How about you give a small festively wrapped gift and a handwritten note telling her how much you've appreciated her over the years, what an interesting and likable person she seems to be. In your note, tell her you'd love to have cocoa with her sometime, your treat.