Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

How do you make a unique fantasy world in literature?

I feel like making a unique fantasy world with entirely new creatures is difficult in creative writing? Take the fact of wanting to create your own unique creatures, monsters, etc to populate the world. Compare it with the movie Avatar which has all kinds of alien animals, which share similarities to animals on Earth while being distinctly different. But how would you go about explaining their uniqueness without being a visual medium. It would be boring and useless to go about explaining what the creatures look like (obviously only if they are relevant to the plot or scene in question).

So are fantasy worlds in writing doomed to stick to elves or creatures that are expected from lore. Or worlds that don't take place in a Medieval-esque setting? Maybe I'm wrong, hence why I wanna ask for opinions/thoughts on the matter.

@Elaine M, Doesn't answer my question :)

• Amber
    Favorite Answer

"So are fantasy worlds in writing doomed to stick to elves or creatures that are expected from lore. Or worlds that don't take place in a Medieval-esque setting?"

This suggests to me you are either not that familiar with Fantasy or don't read widely enough in that Genre. And I'm surprised you'd even need to ask this question. Of course you're not limited, that's the point of creative writing, I don't believe there are any limits. But you have to be creative. You'll need a certain blend of familiar and strange because what you need is characters  people can at least relate to and having something familiar helps you describe what you're seeing. If the creatures are totally different to anything we have seen or what exists in this world and you're writing in first person you can't say:

"It was the size of a large horse with teeth like a lion." if your world doesn't have horses or lions. (Seen that before)

Evolution tends to follow a similar path. All living things in this planet evolved from a basic organism and required the same things to thrive. What you'd need to discover is how different would these creatures be? At what point did they start evolving differently?

On Earth all the creatures have a lot in common, most creatures have eyes, legs and mouth.... Who says your Alien creatures even need eyes or legs.... In fact who said they even need to be made of physical matter at all....

I will make a unique fantasy world in literature with my creativity.

• amy

world and character building. Draw in many different inspirations and twist them together in a new flavour.

• Mohammad3 months agoReport

I'm excited to hear your answer
      Take you$1000 GIFT CARD

Read some older 1970s and 80s fantasy novels.  Also read 70s-80s Science Fantasy from authors like Philip Jose Farmer.  Back then, authors were not so constrained to write fantasy in Tolkienesque Medieval settings.

Things were a lot more creative until publishers figured out that the Tolkien-derived stuff sold the most.

No. Surely you must have come across any number of fantasies that don't mention elves, or have a medieval setting. If you want to write one go right ahead.

I suggest you read 'The War of the Flowers' by Tad Williams. Read, gasp, learn.

Well, you're already on the right track by only wanting to describe creates relevant to the plot or scene in question, so you won't be drowning the reader in descriptions.

As to how to do it, read a lot of fantasy to see how other authors do it. There are actually many non-stereotypical creatures or creatures outside of the more popular Celtic mythology used in fantasy, and these usually need to be described to satisfy the typical Western reader.

Take the Khepri in China Mievielle's "Perdido Street Station", Robin Hobb's Liveships from the "Liveship Traders Trilogy", The volcra and nichevo'ya from Leigh Bardugo's "Grishaverse", Ilona Andrews' piloted vampires in their "Kate Daniels Series" (The vampire is introduced early in the first book "Magic Bites", so you can read that description in the free preview on Amazon) - just to start you off with a few off the top of my head.

• Marli

I suppose you would compare the fantastic creatures to creatures we know about. "It had a cat's tail, a bear's paws, a horse's legs and body, a hound's snout, and a bat's wings." You may be able to make the description less like a list of parts.

See if your library has any books about writing fantasy fiction, like the books below.

A writer uses their own ideas. It's how they do their books.