Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

When did homosexuality become socially acceptable in the United States?

As in accepted by society.

Apparantly, it still has not. That is because of the Republicans (who are anti-Christian, despite their claims).

I notice that, in the Atheist States of America, most so-called Christians who are against homosexuality, claim that they are speaking on behalf of a dude (Jesus) who spent three years of his public life living with 12 dudes.

When Obama was in Office, however, those of us who are NOT LGBTQ - HATE IT!

ONLY FOR SOME... MOST think its still wrong just POLITICALLY CORRECTNESS BULLCRAP says we cannot admit what we actually think about it because the FAR LEFT will call us hatters etc.. 

• Mini

I suppose when Obama legalized gay marriage. 

• Mini
      1 month agoReport

Really well then how come I have been experiencing harassment at work based on my sexuality. Doesn't seem accepted to me. 

I think that as time goes on and people fight for their rights while society becomes less ignorant about other`'s sexuality, their tolerance level relaxes.

Sexual orientation other than heterosexualality was not understood, therefore it was rejected. But now that education and awareness about Sexual preferences is widespread, people are more understanding.

There was a time when homosexuality was not even spoken about. Family members hid it from their neighbors. No one talked about it. It was a taboo subject.

I noticed a change in society`'s acceptance, probably when HIV arrived on the scene in the 1980's. That, I think was the beginning of the end of deep homophobia in the USA. Well, at least that is what I witnessed in my area of New England at that time.

It's still not accepted by everyone. The evangelicals still claim it's a sin against their god. Others just say it's disgusting even if it's not a sin.

But there is no trigger date where we can say it became at least partially acceptable. Acceptance just kind of swelled up over time with more and more people coming out of the closet. And as they came out, that encouraged others to also come out.

But some will say the gay movement came out first with the Stonewall riots. Check this out:

"An even later occurrence that is also said to have been the beginning of the movement for Gay Rights was the Stonewall Riots, Stonewall Inn of 1969. On June 27, 1969 New York's Stonewall Inn bar was raided by police.

LGBT movements in the United States - Wikipedia"

Never. Homosexuality is not socially acceptable in the United States.

• 2 months agoReport

Yes it is. https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2013/06/04/the-global-divide-on-homosexuality/

About a decade before gay marriage was legalized.

I'm not sure where you live but where I live in the USA most I know do not socially accept it. I'm sure it's the same in many cities in the USA. According to a gay family friend she left her home town a few years ago because it wasn't accepted by anyone she knew.

• Lili
      1 month agoReport

Gays are far more accepted in cities than in rural areas and small towns.

when mr rodgers came out

• David S

Uh...that never happened.