My landlord keeps asking for next month's rent in advance. Is this legal?

He keeps saying he's in trouble and needs next month's rent in advance. I am not able to over half my disablity check goes to 1 month's rent. Is what he's doing legal in Pennsylvania?

33 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Ask him for your next months rent to you

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If he is in trouble tell him " that sounds like you have a personal problem and I am not involved" 

• 1 month ago

His financial problems are NOT your responsibility.  Read your Lease/Rental Agreement.

• 1 month ago

It is legal, but in bad taste

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Legal?  Sure, but just tell him no, that you will pay when due.

• Jane
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Check your contract. If you have been renting from him for a while, then you should have a monthly date when you have to pay your rent and no more.The clue is that 'he's in trouble' and wants the money, but you are not obliged to pay.Might be a good idea to look around for somewhere else to rent ( not easy I know!), sounds like he might sell the property if he has financial problems, or just taking advantage of you as you have a disability.

• Hockey
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He can ask. But he cannot force you.

• 1 month ago

Offer him less rent in advance...get signed documents accepting this arrangement.  

Be ready to move, I'd bet this landlord is going to sell soon or the bank will foreclose.  

• 1 month ago

He can ask you to pay it in advance. If you simply tell him you can't pay it in advance but still pay it before its late then there is nothing he ca do about it.  Just tell him sorry but you don't have it yet.  One thought is, if you can get it to him early, ask him for a rebate for paying it early. Maybe you can get him to know 10% off the rent, or something.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How far in advance? When does your lease say the rent is due? He can ask, but not demand it before then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.