.Jerry. asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Why do feminists not accept full legal equality to be a "level playing field'?

Why are equal Rights no longer good enough for the feminists of today even though that's all that the original feminist asked for?

Update:

Not sure where people get the idea that women do not have equality of opportunity.  Look here:

Laws Enforced by EEOC

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)This law makes it illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.

There are 6 more sweeping Acts there to read up on including the Equal Pay Act of 1963.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Great question Jerry.

I think the answer is that feminism is a women's advocacy movement.   As women won equal rights to men, this advocacy shifted towards advantaging women wherever possible.   

What I find ironic is feminists will fight so hard to win policies advantaging women, only to then deny these advantages exist, despite many of these advantages being documented law.   When forced to acknowledge such policies, feminists misrepresent them as being equal rights, when of course there is nothing equal about policies and practices advantaging women.   If forced to admit these policies are not equal, feminists will then reply that while advantages, they are needed to balance the mythical male patriarchy which oppresses women or something like that.

In other words, feminists push a victim mentality.  While this may benefit feminist agenda, adopting a victim mentality most certainly is not the way to help individual women succeed.  I've seen many successful women criticize feminism for this reason.  A victim mentality does not help women, but rather holds them back.  It is also a very condescending view of women, insinuating that women are incapable of succeeding on a level playing field.   Similarly, it draws into question whether successful women succeeded on their own merit or because of one of the many policies that advantage women, such as affirmative action.

One can't create equality by creating more discrimination.  The way to have equality is get rid of discrimination, not justify more of it as feminists do.  

• .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Thanks for this very well thought out answer.

At least we have finally gotten a few feminists to admit that full equality before the law is no longer good enough for them any more.

Imagine that?  It's mind boggling!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

these laws are actually not enforced thats why

• .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Interesting feeling you have there.  But I cannot see how, or even why laws would be enforced by gender?

Perhaps you can enlighten me on this strange belief?

• Cee
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because their muff mistresses in college said so and they believed it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

in the early years woman didnt work, now they have great jobs, but alot is under paid then men, but there getting there

• .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Women have Pay Equality to men by law.  So they are not being paid less at the same job.
      If women actually care about the average pay of all women being equal to men, then they are just going to have to "man up" to the same career choices that men make,.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Equal Opportunities, is something we talked about in the 1980's, however many people still lack those, dependent on their back grounds or whichever 'career paths' they were advised to take.

Also there will never be a 'level playing field' whilst women still insist on being the main carer of their babies and children.  For every 12 months of work you miss, you have to start from 'scratch' to work you way, back up that 'dratted career ladder'.  Women are still expected to dress in ridiculously high heels, tight skirts for most Corporate work & with little flexibility written in to work contracts.

It's totally disgusting that we can't choose to live a more flexible way, just because we are 'caring' for the next lot of 'Pension Providers'.  Without our children, society will crash and die.  Respect for Parents who work.

• ...Show all comments
    • .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

And we are in a worse quagmire than before with all sorts of ideas that require complete social change that nobody is ever going to agree on.

• 2 months ago

Simply speaking, because there can be no equal rights without equal opportunity AND enforcement of the laws. Think of the JIM CROW laws in the USA, other countries where a village supervisor collects blank, signed ballots from the community & fills in the actual vote. Caucasian women in the USA still make around 77 cents to every male earned dollar - for exactly the same job. Women of color make less. I could go on and on and on....

Philosophically speaking: Eve was the Original Feminist. She asked to be treated as a thinking person, to have access to all knowledge, and for personal agency -  the freedom to act as she deemed appropriate -  accepting responsibility but rejecting arbitrary punishment. Well ...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Feminists aren’t about equality.  I thought everyone knew that these days.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Jesus H Christ, Jerry's still here. Why are you still here posting the same old sh!t, dude? It's been years. YEARS.

• .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Is this your answer to the question?

• 2 months ago

Because ideas either grow or die. To be Liberal you're compelled to come up with never-ending provocative and outrageous ideas. To say "With few exceptions, I'm satisfied with the way things are" makes you a Conservative.

• 2 months ago

Times change. Would I accept a benefit that was offered to me? Yes.

• ...Show all comments
    • .Jerry.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Fair enough,  I think most people would.  But would I go on to claim that to be the new standard for equality and then demean an entire gender who didn't agree with this?  
That might be a bit much.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.