Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Do you think the mechanic was lying to me?

This was probably 2 years ago. I forgot exactly why I brought it into the shop, but the machanic said my transmission was ****, and will probably on last a few months. Well, my dad thought he was full of ****, and just trying to get money out of me, so I just kept driving it. 2 years later, and shes running fine. 

If the car is still going fine, the mechanic was most likely full of rubbish, however he could of been one of the few with a good heart and you may of just gotten lucky.

It sounds like you were talking to Gomer the gas station attendant and Wally the mechanic wasn't in the shop that day. People waste untold billions of dollars a year on "repairs" that were not needed, didn't fix the problem or complaint, and they just trusted some idiot who didn't know his way around an engine or transmission. More than half of the "mechanics" out there couldn't properly diagnose a nail in a tire. 

he could have just been mistaken

• Fred

I had an employer tell me to fix a worn cast iron rear axle hub on a large work truck  with brass shims!!!

I told him he was full up loaded with ---!  Eventually filled his request on 'go for broke' logic and it ran for years!!!!

• bo

being in the transmission business I get asked this all the time when I have to give an opinion on how long will it last. I tell the customer can go two days, two months, or more than a year. I have no idea since I never am 100% right all the time. I go by what I hear on a road test or the smell of the fluid. Its like going to your doctor and asking him/her when you think you'll have a heart attack

Source(s): transmission man

Yeah, if he came up with a bad transmission diagnosis out of the blue without you reporting any problems related to the transmission, he was almost certainly lying to try to get you to spend a boatload of cash.

• arther

the mechanic doesn't need to lie to get money out of people cars break down constantly most mechanics don't want to work on shitheaps; all talking to you did for the mechanic was waste his time? How is his crystal ball meant to say how long something will last please explain this as you think you know everything?

• arther
      1 month agoReport

$5000 car with average body ordinary inertia needs $4000 worth of parts and labour to fix , Its still a $5000 car thats old and drinks lots of fuel.

OR- wait for it- he could have just been mistaken. They are only human, after all.

• Jay P

Maybe the mechanic is full of it, maybe it was misdiagnosed, maybe you're just lucky and the transmission really is dying, just at a slower pace than the mechanic thought...

He lied..............