Ryan asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Why is my stainless steel frying pan burning my food?

I bought one recently and man. It's really annoying me. I know cold food straight on to a hot pan will make it stick. When the food sticks that's when it burns my food. I've burned my steaks and duck fillets already by using this pan. How do it solve this? I've tried regulating the temperature. I use a electric cooker thanks

don't ever set it on high heat medium heat or medium and let heat up before putting any food  and don't move the food as soon that you put it in 

Put down a little oil (a mist will do) before you add the food to the heated pan. Then, if you don't overheat the pan, the food shouldn't stick.

The pan must be hot (up to temp) before you use it and you need to use oil.

• Clive

It's doing no such thing.  You can't fry properly.  Oil the pan.

• Mr. P

Most pans used for frying need seasoning or are non-stick. You can't heat non-stick pans up hot enough for searing steaks as it damages the coating.

If yours is shiny stainless steel look up how to season a new pan, which will put a non-stick oil coating on it - but it won't be shiny!

You can treat pans as tools for a purpose, so this one may be great at reducing sauces but crap at cooking steaks. I have 4 frying pans because of this, but only one medium saucepan, a wok, a 4 tier steamer and a stock pot - that's it! And all I've needed for a family of 4 for 30 years.

Electric ranges are notorious for cooling down slowly. So when you lower the heat, it stays hot for a while. That's just something you'll have to account for. You can also use the smaller back burner that won't get nearly as hot even on high, and much lower on low. Not to insult you but the correct statement is "I burn my food with a stainless steel frying pan." It may simply be a better pan than you're used to, getting hotter more evenly and you'll just have to come to find searing steaks works best on number 5 instead of number 8.

• Ludwig

Because (a) it is a thin one and (b) you are not using enough fat and (c) you are turning the heat up too much. Get yourself down to the local boot sale/ flea market and pick up one with a thick base. It will help a lot. and use some thick fat , lard or if that is against your religion you can get vegetable fat in blocks. And patience. If you want to cook steaks get yourself a cast iron fry pan that weighs half a ton and heat it up till it looks like Chernobyl. Then bounce your steak on and off it both sides. You cannot really go wrong.