Jake asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Did people in the 1800’s have feelings?

My philosophy professor told us that he believe’s that consciousness has arisen out of humanity only in the last 100 years or so, and before that everyone was basically just an organic robot, or a “philosophical zombie”. They basically looked and appeared like human beings but didn’t have any actual conscious experience of the world, they were basically zombies appearing as people. He believes that it took the wide-spread integration of mandatory public education into society for people to finally “wake up” out of their trance-like state and actually become conscious human beings. Let me know if you agree, disagree, or neither. If so, why? And please, no stupid responses, intelligent answers only, thanks

39 Answers

Relevance
  • Raja
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It might have happened somewhere in a small part of this world but it was not always the case in all parts of the world.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Ya, no. The rise of individuality and sense of self importance has only come about recently so maybe that's what he means? Before that people did behave as part of a hive mind, happiness was not considered something to strive for so people were going through life in more of a trance state since they were just fulfilling their duties until they died.

• LG
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't believe consciousness arises out of education.  It's a basic part of the human brain IMO.  And the human brain, at least genetically, hasn't changed all that much in 100 years.

Look at all the great literary works, and even philosophy, that have come out before 1900.  Does it really seem plausible that all these works were written by people without consciousness?  I think the question of the meaning of life has been around for thousands of years.  I don't think a being without consciousness would have this question.  Your teacher's hypothesis doesn't seem to agree with the data.

Heck, I had consciousness before I ever went to school!

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should demand your money back

• LG
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

LOL!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Good Lord...humans throughout history have always had feelings... only these days, it can be recorded and shared instantly across the world.

If you're talking about why people looked serious in old photos from the 1800s and early 1900s, it was because the actual photo snapping took several minutes to complete and it was more comfortable to pose and frown... not that those people photographed were zombies...

• Servus
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

As opposed to everyone today who is looking at their phone? Give me a break!

• 1 month ago

Yes. They also had integrity and a sense of personal responsibility

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They did but no longer. They are now dead.

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Disagree, follow the history of inventions made in the past 5,000 years. What about that which we take for granted, food, how did we know what plants are safe to eat. Mankind has always been learning, educating themselves in many ways "an apprentess" who learns from a master, the method of learning may vary, however, the lesson learned, is the desired outcome?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you ask a VERY stupid question (INCREDIBLY so), why do you expect a serious answer? Doing the afternoon trolling, are we?

• Sir Caustic
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Well, he certainly hooked *you*, didn't he?!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.