What are my odds of beating this case??? ?

I am charged with shoplifting and assault for kicking the security guard in the shin. 

I have been arrested for shoplifting once in the past but the cops didn’t pursue charges and released me. I also have been charged for assault in the past and the charges were dismissed if I agreed to a peace bond. This assault charge was 9 years ago and I have proof that I never actually assaulted anyone. The real offender got lost in the crowd and they thought it was me. In the disclosure provided they have a video of me talking to the guy I assaulted but nowhere in the video am I even touching him. So when I went to court I told them to play the camera footage that they claimed was evidence so I could say that I wasn’t even touching the person. But the DVD player didn’t work so We couldn’t play the footage in trial. They offered to drop the charges against me if I agreed to a peace bond. Being young and not knowing any better I took this because I didn’t want a criminal record. Even though it was a pretty good deal it still implies something happened when really I was wrongfully accused. I’m worried that this case will be used against me and that the judge will convict me by saying that I was already let go on previous assault charges. I am gonna try to get the disclosure from the previous assault case to show them that I never assaulted anyone in the prior case so the judge wont use that case against me in this new assault case. But what are my odds of beating the current charges?

people I know have worst charges and get them dropped all the time. I’m 29 And am going to have proof by my next court date that I’m working on a business and my business name is filed with the government. Hopefully she will think I’m serious about improving my situation since I didn’t have any money to pay for my things when I did steal. 

Favorite Answer

It sounds like your last time around you didn't hire a lawyer.  Don't make the same mistake again.  Besides they will know your odds better than anyone here, because they will know your provincial jurisdiction, the prosecutors and the judge.

• james

once again it sounds like the American cops played the good citizen for a idiot. Then will come back & make your life HALL ALL MIGHTY because they think they have power over you for trumped up charges. Such are American cops. I learned the hard way because of what they are. Face the thing down first off. & sue the living shat out of them. They are American low lives to the extreem & deserve not a single break in courts. even if there pimp judge allows such. 

None of your previous charges and convictions are relevant or admissible in this case. Previous actions are only admissible in very limited circumstances when they would be evidence of guilt in the current case. For example, a serial killer or rapist where previous cases are so similar it is evidence it was done by the same person.

Your previous conviction can only be used against you in sentencing if you are convicted. In that case, they will not give you a chance to try to prove you were actually innocent.

Source(s): 20 years a cop

Store security is well trained in how to spot shoplifters.  If you've been charged, it's because you tried to seal something and got caught, plain and simple.  When you got caught you kicked the security guard - you just added an assault charge.  

You started your own business, good for you, I hope you make money but what does it have to do with your criminal charges?  Many business owners go to jail.  Your chances of beating the shoplifting charge are not very good then there's the assault charge which is a separate charge so you can be found not guilty of one and guilty of the other.  You should get yourself a lawyer and discuss a plea bargain agreement.  

"I didn’t have any money to pay for my things when I did steal."

That is what's called an admission of guilt.

Those previous charges from nine years ago have already been resolved. The court wont entertain evidence going back and revisiting it. It doesn't matter how conclusive it is, it's outside the scope of your upcoming trial.

Odds are the store is going to have video of the incident. CCTV is much better and cheaper now than it was before. They'll likely have multiple angles showing what happened.

If you are indigent (too poor to afford an attorney), you can ask the court to appoint you a public defender. Often times they're overloaded with work, but will do a much better job defending you than if you attempted to do so yourself.

This assault charge was 9 years ago and I have proof that I never actually assaulted anyone.

Even if you have irrefutable proof you didn't commit the assault you were charged with, it IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to prove you NEVER assaulted anyone.

But the DVD player didn’t work so We couldn’t play the footage in trial.

That is a FLAT OUT LIE. The judge would have recessed the trial long enough to find a player that worked.

I’m 29 And am going to have proof by my next court date that I’m working on a business and my business name is filed with the government.

Even if true, that is 100% IRRELEVANT, and the judge won't even let you present the so called evidence.

I didn’t have any money to pay for my things when I did steal.

Your CONFESSION is supported by VIDEO evidence AND testimony of your victim.

Short answer: You chance of beating the charge is about the same as ME winning last night's lottery, and I don't have a ticket.

• Alex1 month agoReport

I kid you not, I didn’t have a lawyer and they didn’t consider the video evidence when the DVD didn’t play, they just offered me the peace bond instead, not lying but believe me or not.

Your odds are 2,336,922.5 to 1.

• xyzzy

They will never look at your "disclosure" as it is not germane to your current case. Odds are you will be found guilty.

• arther

don't agree to anything once your found not guilty demand and apology and purse the officer that charged you civilly for the embarrassment it caused you and for your legal costs.

• a2yar

100% if you give trump $100000000