If a police detective wants me to come in for a meeting does that mean I will be arrested?

When I was at work today a detective came to my house and told one of my family members that I ordered gold online which I did. But they say I didn't pay for it and I have proof that I did. He asked me to schedule a day and time to come in and talk to him.

He is likely wanting to question you and will review the evidence you have, therefore unless he has DEFINITIVE proof you did, then you haven't broken any laws.

Quite a few online gold sale sites are fencing stolen gold melted down and resold.

The problem is the thieves and the mugs buying it think once it's melted down, it is untraceable except, that is wrong gold even 24 carats contains tiny amounts of impurities which help to identify the origin of the gold.

You could have bought gold from a crooked site.

He's just looking for your proof you paid for it.

• james

He is another cop who has a misconception of its duty & power.  He needs set up a time with you. When you have time for it. & as a business meeting pay you for your time. & pick up the tab were you dine + pay the tip.  Way it works. 

Yes, anything the price are speaking to you, you may be arrested. You have no reason to go to the police station. If they want to talk to you, tell them to meet you at your home or at your attorneys office. Never, ever, under any circumstances, speak to a police officer if there is any chance at all that they suspect you, as they certainly do if the story is true. Ask your attorney, and he will tell you to never do so outside his presence. To many prosecutors forget that their job is to represent you as well as the State. Their job isn't conviction, it's discovering the truth and presenting the facts at a trial, if there is one. Officers ask you the same questions over and over for a reason. If you answer one of them, then through confusion, fatigue, or whatever, your contradict yourself, they will certainly being that up on court. Speaking to an officer without your lawyer is a good way to get convicted when you are Innocent.

Does it mean you "will be? Nope! Saying "will be" implies it for sure will happen, there is nothing certain here. Does it mean you could be arrested? Yes, the possibility exists that you could be arrested for theft.

I would strongly recommend you bring in all the proof you claim to have when you go to this meeting! If you are as innocent as you claim, you really shouldn't worry about being arrested....

just show them the proof and then you might not get arrested

Either YOU are FLAT OUT LYING, or whoever showed up at your home IS NOT a detective.

Even if you could receive the gold without paying, it would be a CIVIL case and the police wouldn't even PRETEND to investigate.

If you were being investigated for a crime, the detective WOULD NOT tell your family the details.

No he/she didn't come to your house and ask anybody about your Gold purchase that you did not pay for, so either somebody is pulling your leg or you are just here to be here

NO seller would send out any purchase of that amount (Cost) before it was paid for, either by credit card or check, MO etc.

The product would have never left the warehouse before it was paid for, and if by some REMOTE chance the seller did ship it to you, it is not a police matter anyway unless you used a stolen credit card to pay for it.

So whoever told you the police was there for a shipment that the seller said was not paid for  is messing with you, or you are just making up a story to see how many answers you get.

It is not against the law to not pay for something unless fraud was involved. But to just order something and not pay for it is not a criminal offense, it is a civil offense and the police do not get involved in civil cases

In my experience it would be almost impossible to receive gold from an online seller without paying for it.

• Badge 203
      1 month agoReport

You are so correct, no broker would ship gold on even credit-check (which would have to clear first-or credit card only)