Painting walls without baseboards?

I’m painting a friends living room which they don’t have any baseboards installed. They had them up at one point but they just never got around to installing new ones. Should I paint their walls first? Or wait until they get baseboards up? I’m not sure if the baseboards are a priority for them

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Prep the walls, smooth out bumps including the area where the bb was.  You can choose to paint the entire wall in one color or use painters tape to separate the bb area and create a border with either white or navy blue. In the event your friend chooses not to install the bb, it will look nice with the painted border.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

I would use paper to prevent it from painting else where 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Yes you do that...that way preferably.   You paint low enough so that when the BB is installed the wall paint is under it when the BB is nailed on.  It is easier to roll the walls to half inch above the floor.  When BB do get nailed on they should first be primed(or stained& varnished) while off.Then nailed on by carp. & painter goes around with a can of wall paint and brush on the paint to paint the BB the same color as the wall(if that is the color you are doing)BB are fitted over carpets, so the painter has to be careful not to paint carpet...or flooring.So you dance with the carpenter so both of you can do your jobs.  The painter wants to beat the carp. who wants to nail up the BB. As carp use nail guns they use Pins to nail up the BB.  You can barely see the pin so no hole is there so nothing to touch up.

New homes are always easier to do than repaints.

• 3 months ago

Base boards are becoming a thing of the past in some areas. Just paint all of the walls all the way down as if the base boards may not be installed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Paint the walls.  The baseboards can be installed when they are ready.

• R K
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

paint the walls first,then you won't need to worry about the baseboards.

• 3 months ago

Paint the walls. 

If they decide to put up baseboards, paint or stain the baseboards before they are installed. Then, double back and fill up the holes and then touch up the paint or stain.

When done in this order, the area at the top of the baseboard where it meets the wall will have a nice crisp paint job.

• 3 months ago

Paint first--baseboards afterwards. If you do that, it will ensure there is no paint on the baseboards, and you won't have to mask them before painting. 

• 4 months ago

paint the walls now

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It makes much easier to,paint if the baseboards r not installed yet. 

I have been painting for over 30 years 

• ...Show all comments
    • None ya3 months agoReport

What about the area where the baseboards were? Sand them down? It’s a white color underneath but the walls are red so basically the bottom is just white

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.