Kush asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Now that NFL is expanding the NFL playoffs to 14 teams is it good or bad?

On Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the NFL owners proposed to expand the playoffs to seven teams in each conference as a part of a new collective bargaining agreement. It isn’t official yet, but the change would result in only one team receiving a first round bye.

What a heinously awful idea.

Let’s look at this further through the lens of the 2019 season. The Steelers would have made the playoffs, but the Broncos, Raiders, Colts and Jets would have been “in the mix” for the seventh AFC playoff spot. All of those teams finished the season with a losing 7-9 record. The NFC side isn’t quite as ominous: The Rams would have made the playoffs at 9-7 with the Cowboys and Bears just missing out with 8-8 records.

Of course, the NFL knows that people would watch and consume these games because they’ve created a product with infinite popularity. Doesn’t the quality of the highest-profile games mean something here? Outside of the clear money grab that comes with more playoff games, is it necessary to dilute these matchups?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I mean in the NBA more than half the teams make it I think its fine

• ...Show all comments
    • Spidey1 month agoReport

Alright you have a point, but I still think it'd be fun, plus my team is a borderline 7 seed for next year (Jets) so Im for it, and it would make it more likely the pats have to play wildcard

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Pretty soon, all the teams will be given participation trophys--

• Let's review:

-The NFL is a business.

-Their primary objective to to make money.

-Having more playoff games means more ticket sales and advertising revenue.

-Ask fans of the 7th-seeded teams that get in the playoffs (when they would not have otherwise) if it's a good idea or not.

• game5781 month agoReport

Going by those 2 points, might as well have all 32 teams in the playoffs.

• Kurt
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Bad idea. The season would be way too long and more wear and tear on the players. When you include the start of training camp, pre-season games, regular season games, playoffs, and Super Bowl, you're looking at a season that would run from late July to early March.

• Kush1 month agoReport

One preseason game will be eliminated and one bye week

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It is only a proposeal

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Next thing they'll do is go to a 32 team tournament-1 plays 32, 2 plays 31, 3 plays 30, etc.  Just like the NCAA Basketball tournament.  They'll have four weeks of knock out play with the final two teams competing in the Super Bowl.  

How's that sound?  Makes just as much sense!

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The NFL isn't about competition.  It is about money. If they actually cared about competition, they would get rid of divisions and have a more balanced schedule even having two leagues with promotion and relegation.  That's bad for their pocketbooks though.  So you can only look at this from a money standpoint.  Given that, unless they think they'll lose fans because of this (which I'm sure they won't), then there's really no negative to doing it.

PS:  Don't be an internet troll by stating "Now that the NFL is expanding" when you clearly know and state later it was only proposed.  

• 1 month ago

I'm a Steelers fan and think it would have been terrible for the NFL if they had been in this year. Sure there have been years one more team would have been nice, but what about the one more after that. This is going to turn in to the March Madness NCAA tournment, let's keep adding one more until it means basically nothing.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's good for some of the players and for 2 teams each year,it's great for the owners

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

every change will be bad until they make the season more than 16 games 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.