I want to get a room refinished and resanded without telling my landlord, could I get away with it?

It is a small 8x10 room, I was advised to get the whole hardwood floor resanded , refinished. I don’t want to tell my landlord because I had cats in there for a few months and it was the locked litter that damaged the floor. Could I do this without tell them or what could happen if I don’t. It is an estimated $450 job , they would be able to tell it was refinished, but would it be an issue at all? Especially if the stain color matched the previous one etc etc no big deal or big deal

Favorite Answer

At the end of your lease or when  you move out, you will have to pay or lose your security deposit to repair the floor anyway.

Do it now, while you have contributed of the price because if you do not do it, your landlord may find someone to do it for more than the $450.00 you were quoted. 

The way I look at it is that you (your cats) caused the damage and you are  eine responsible by fixing it....just like if you damaged a wall, you would fix that, right?

Move forward with your plans to refinish the floor. Your only real concern at this point is to be sure the refinished knows what he is doing so the results cannot be criticised by your landlord. And get it in writing that the floor guy will match the existing floor finish.

I have had cats all my life and some of them used a litter box. I have never had any litter ruin my wood floors. What  brand of lkitty liter causes wood floors to need refinishing, I wonder?

• Tim1 month agoReport

The floor needs to be resanded I am rookie cat owner I learned this time. I use tidy cats

not sure why  

Working in the rental industry, you better read your lease first.  If the lease states no pets, you will be charged for the damage when you move out.  If the lease states, no alterations without prior consent from the Landlord, you could be in violation if you make changes without asking, which in turn, you could face eviction.  There is a fine line here so be aware of any consequences ahead of time.  Hope this helps.

• Edwena

Not likely. You had best tell him and get his approval. If you do it without his approval, you are violating the understanding of the relationship between you and him, and he is likely to terminate it when the opportunity arises. His thinking will be that if he did this, he might decide to do that, and I am not going to put up with it.

Actually, you may be OBLIGATED legally to have the floor refinished, if your cats or their boxes damaged it. Any competent refinisher will match the stains. It's not something you will have to keep from your landlord--he will probably be grateful you took care of the issue and paid for it. Unless there is a reason your landlord would NOT want you to have this done, and I can't think of any, you should absolutely do it. 

If you're trying to keep the fact that you had cats in a small room and they damaged the floor from your landlord, then you may be out of luck. Cat smell is extremely hard to remove from wood flooring and porous surfaces. Make sure that any floor refinishers you hire are going to guarantee they can remove the damage BEFORE you sign a contract or hire them. The floor may need to be treated with enzyme cleaners prior to the job being done--and a good contractor will know that. And once the job is done, you are going to have to protect those floors and keep the cats from re-soaking the wood or you will have wasted your money. 

And yes, once refinishing is done, it's easy to tell it's BEEN done. You won't be able to hide the fact. Come clean with your landlord and let him know you are going to repair the damage you caused at your own expense. That's a courtesy you owe him because you are living in his property, and it's also your financial obligation to cover. 

If you can do quietly go for it. 

There is damage anyway by the cats 

If your not allowed cats that probably would be a bigger deal

Read the lease contract.  Landlord might consider the job as an "alteration" and charge you for it.

Go for it. Just be certain they will do a good job. A floor sander can leave marks if used by a clown.

I'm sure you won't be evicted.

You roll the dice, maybe you get away with it, maybe you don't.  Don't whine later to us.