Mini
Mini asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Am I being forced by management to quit my job? ?

This is in regard to my waitress job. I have been written up at work for the second time. My manager sat me down with a witness and explained that a customer complained that their appetizers took 40 minutes to be delivered and that I barely checked on them. I got a write up. I tried to explain how part of this was the kitchens fault- and my manager literally says "yeah it sounds like they were exaggerating the amount of time it took". Then I said that I was receiving all the blame which is unfair and he said "yeah- sign here". He really didn't care. The witness just sat there and didn't say anything. 

Like how I said to the manager, I feel like this is a really stupid reason to actually write me up because 3 write ups means that you are suspended and then fired. I talked to a another waitress and she told me that she was written up once because a customer complained that she refused his ID (because it was a vertical ID). I mean, she is legally required to do that and so I feel like this place just hands out write-ups like candy. I don't want to quit because I make good money. What can I do? 

In the state where I live it is illegal to serve someone with a vertical ID because i was expired when he turned 21. Is would have been a  misdemeanor to serve him the alcohol. Montana is SUCH a strict state. 

It sucks that waitresses get all the blame when the kitchen is slow to produce a meal or something is wrong with the food. That should have not been your responsibility.

However, it is up to you to communicate with the customers when a meal is taking longer to get out of the kitchen staff, so that does fall under "checking up" on both the kitchen and the customers.

If what you signed mentioned the slow FOOD service, that IS the kitchen''s fault and therefore I would have not signed any paperwork with that complaint on it.

From here on out, communication is key. Do your best and pretend every day is an audition.

My sister is a career waitress. She has worked everywhere from white tables to diners. There are alot of stressed out managers and owners who routinely take their inability to cope, out on the restaurant staff. 

You know how a waitress should check to make sure the meals were prepared, as ordered, before serving them? Well, one time my sister got reamed out and written up because a customer complained that his lobster tail shrunk to a tiny size and was rubbery. My sister actually laughed at the manager because there was NO way on earth she could tell what was inside an unranked lobster tail. That was a kitchen problem, not a waitress problem. Lol

As far as questionable ID's.....get the management involved so they can handle it. This way, THEY make the call, not you. Due diligence.

"The witness just sat there and didn't say anything."  The job of the witness is to observe the conversation, not offer commentary.  I hope you didn't really say "this is a really a stupid reason to write me up."  You need to keep your mouth shut and take the criticism like an adult.

• Mini

No no lol I did not actually say it was stupid, I was thinking it though. 

• Ana

Try to not screw up again, I suppose

• xyzzy

You can do nothing except quit. There are no rules about being written up or being fired or when you are fired.

You can do a better job - checking back with the customer and apologizing for the delay.

• Mini

I already fricken did that- some people just want heads to roll

Look for a better job. 

As to the question "Are they forcing you to quit?", I would point you towards Hanlons Razor which says "Never attribute to malice that which can accurately be explained by incompetence." IE They are forcing you to quit, they are just incompetent.

I would still do the best job you can, but look for another job or you're likely to get that 3rd write-up and be out of work completely.

• Rick B

Maybe ask the manager to check on them. Perhaps offer them some kind of comp or ask the manager to. In short, step up and make sure the customer knows that you are doing all you can.

"she is legally required to do that" - there are very few places where it is legally required to reject an ID that is "vertical" if the person is of legal age. Now your establishment has the right to refuse service to a vertical ID but be careful of accusations of legality (but, you may be in a place that it is illegal to use a vertical ID)

You don't have to quit, they have to fire you. You just need to go with the flow. If you think something has happened that you might get written up for, document your side of the story and be prepared to present that info (i.e. I submitted the ticket at 6:18pm and the food came out at 7:02pm or customer clearly ordered the chicken salad and when that was delivered the customer stated they ordered the filet mignon). It is best to have specifics (times, what was said, etc) because you become much more credible then saying saying "she didn't order that" or something like that.