Joel asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

I found a turtle skull on the beach in Ecuador. Can I bring it back to Canada?

I've watched those border security TV shows and it seems that Canada doesn't allow animal parts in unless they have a certificate saying they have been properly treated to eliminate the possibility of anything coming into Canada which may affect our wildlife or farmed animals. I'm not sure if turtles would be included in that.

Turtles are a protected species in Ecuador, so it's not legal to remove it from the country. Even if you could take it out of Ecuador, you would likely have trouble getting it into Canada. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the EU it's illegal to import any parts or products from the list of protected or endangered species. I wouldn't risk it, although if you really want it I advise that you ask someone at a visitor services center- they probably have more information. But if you don't know, don't risk it. You can get yourself into a lot of trouble even if you didn't know.

• Joel2 months agoReport

Good advice, thank you. It's been sad to see at least 6 dead turtles wash up on the 5km stretch of beach we run in the past month. 

Yeah, that's not going to get thru customs. Maybe it you sent it FedEx, it would get thru.