I splashed hot wax on the wall, how much will my property manager charge me to fix it?

I had one of those plug-in wax air freshners. I pulled it out of the electrical socket, and it splashed against the wall. I made the mistake of telling my property manager about it. Now she's texting my regularly asking if I was able to remove the wax. I initially contacted her to see if she had any paint I could have. She said she doesn't want me to paint it. And that if I can't get it off, she will have to send someone out to repair it. I don't know why this is important, but she's the new property manager and maybe she's just anal. So now I am stressed out about it. If I can't get the wax off, how much can I expect to be charged? Again, she said that I am not allowed to paint over it (assuming I had matching paint). So I'm not even going to attempt to paint it.

Thank you, all very good answer, except for one loser... Landlord365.

Favorite Answer

Chill.  Your only goal right now is to see if you can remove the wax without damaging the wall (texture and wallboard.) Try Eva's suggestion of using hot air and a paper towel to melt and remove the wax from the wall. The paint will have a grease mark from the wax.  

Your property manager doesn't want you to paint because:

1.  They don't want you to cover up damage.  They want to ensure the damage (if it exists) is repaired correctly.

2. They don't want more damage because you spill paint or splash it somewhere accidentally.  If their maintenance. people do the painting, then you don't run the risk of being charge for more damage.

How much it will cost depends on many factors including what has to be done and how much the repair/maintenance people are paid.  It also depends on how much "profit" the management company/landlord (not the property manager) wants to make off of this type of work.  

• not at all in my opinion

• Maxi

Wax is easily removed, you need a clean white cloth and an iron, the heat from the iron will melt the wax into the cloth, you just need to keep moving the cloth to a clean part so it can absorb the wax

You had better not attempt to paint over it.  You can't paint over wax.  You would make a mess of it.  It depends on whether she has a maintenance man on payroll or whether she calls one who charges per case. If the latter, whatever he charges.  If the former, likely a minimum charge.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Mark

I had a wall repair recently and no matching paint (granted I'm a homeowner, so no LL or PM to worry about):

Using a razor knife I cut out the section and just peeled off the outer layer of drywall.  I then used drywall patch and covered the section.  I sanded it smooth and feathered it out.  I took the peeled off piece to Sherwin Williams and got a qt of paint.  They matched it perfectly.  Painted the patch and you can't tell the difference.

Tools needed: Patch, plastic scraper, sandpaper, paint (note for best results use Primer first).

Total cost:<$20

If you can't clean it off like @Mamawidsom suggested, I personally would go with repairing it myself if I was confident in my skills.

for what its worth, when I had my kitchen re done..i wasn't going to repaint at that time, but there was a slight difference with the cabinet size/placement and one area that did need to be repainted...I used the same old paint I had..and it matched fine.  I had chipped off a piece of paint, brought it to home depot and they matched it,.

Paint won't go over wax so she's right.. they will have to sand it off before they can paint. No idea on cost but the whole room will have to be painted.

• Eva

You couldn't paint over wax anyway. It wouldn't stick. Put a paper towel against the spot and aim a hair dryer at it. The paper towel should absorb the warm wax. You may have to do it more than once. You could also try a Magic Eraser or the Magic Eraser and a bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. You never should have reported something that small.

• catmich991 month agoReport

thank you (yes I realize I shouldn't have reported it)

So take the wax OFF the wall. If it's thick, put ice on it, that will allow you to crack it off.

If it's a thin smear, put 2 layers of paper towels on the area and use a hot iron to get the wax to absorb into the paper towels.

You cannot just put up some extra paint over this...it wont look the same.  

They can charge you to paint the entire room if they wanted.  

Why would you tell your property manager about this?