Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Did the motor honey trick ruin my car?

My car was putting out some white smoke from the tail pipe, and boiling off its coolant and overheating. I tried to fix it and I heard that adding honey to the engine can increase the oil viscosity and help keep it from overheating. I also heard some oils contain a certain percentage of honey in them.

I then added one of those bear shaped honey jarfuls to my 1996 geo prism and the car still seemed to run fine but it eventually just ran rougher and rougher till it ground to a halt and now it stopped and won’t start again. It just goes clunk when I turn the key, what happened, what to do, how do I fix it?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

you need a new head gasket.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

sure, honey looks like oil so will obviously be OK. FFS

• Dan B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Motor honey won't fix the problem you have. You have a blown head gasket between the combuston chamber and the coolant passages, or a cracked block between a cylinder and cooling passage. A compression test will identify the faulty cylinder. It will be lower than the others..

• 1 month ago

You heard wrong. When a moor overheats it's because of the cooling system...not the motor oil.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The sugar in the honey solidified and seized your engine. What a mess!. Here's how to fix that, if it isn't too far gone: Get a can or two of Mechanic's Engine Flush, or Gunk Engine flush. Squirt an ounce or two into the sparkplug holes and leave the plugs out. Carefully mark them so you know which cylinder to put them back in. Let the flush soak the pistons and dissolve the sugar. try turning the engine by hand with the spark plugs out after about a 15 minute soaking. If you can turn it, crank the starter a few RPMs to blow out the liquid, then put the spark plugs back in and follow the directions on the engine flush to clean the inside of the engine. If you get the engine started, let it run until it gets smooth, then change the oil and filter. You still have your overheating problem to fix now....probably a blown head gasket. Motor Honey IS NOT HONEY, it's an oil thickener. If you think the car is worth the trouble, go on and get a mechanic to fix it. There goes another thousand bux. Good luck.

Don't ask those friends to help you. See where it got you so far?

• 1 month ago

No, they honey didn't ruin the ALREADY dead engine.

The MORON behind the wheel had already done that.

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

HOW DOES A PERSON GET THIS STUPID?

TROLL

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You probably seized the engine. Honey is not a lubricant it's more like a glue. This is unfortunately going to be an expensive thing to fix. The fix is replacing the engine. The amount of work that has to be done to clean out what the honey did to the engine is an un-godly amount of work that's going to be extremely expensive paying for labor to have done by the hour. 

Please. Since you were not savvy enough know not to honey in it and not knowing how to correct overheating so bad that it was boiling don't attempt replacing the engine yourself because you obviously don't have the knowledge or skills to be able to.

The car is most likely totalled which means that the cost of the repairs is more than the value of the vehicle. You can of course try at a repair shop and see if they can work some magic to replace the engine and get it running again at a cost you can afford or get a different vehicle.

Suggestion: Junk this car. Take it to a salvage yard. If you have the title the salvage yard might give you up to $200 for it and junk yards usually also have cars that run that you can buy at cheap prices, like another few hundred dollars, that will get you around if you can't afford a better option to get you a new-to-you vehicle.

Most importantly, and please, wherever you 'heard' about putting honey in an engine don't ever use advice you get from that source ever again. They were horribly incorrect.

When you have car troubles take it to a mechanic. Almost all mechanics will look, listen, and maybe even take it for a drive to evaluate any problems it might have for free.

Oil does not contain honey. Some additives do but the honey is extremely deluted in those additives and you should almost never use an additive unless you're advised to by someone who is truly a mechanic that explains why the additive they're suggesting will help. 

• The Devil
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No honey is in Motor Honey.

• 1 month ago

you need a new head gasket, pal! GOOD LUCK

• Edd S
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

You needed a head gasket.  NOw  you need an engine.

• 1 month ago

Life is hard,

Its harder if you're stupid.

• M.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

👍  That's for sure!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.