What is the longest you would commute to and from work?

Currently I have a 20 minute drive to work, but considering moving further away which would make my commute around 45 minutes. 

An hour is the longest ice had to commute 

• Jay P

That depends on the wage or salary I am making as well as if this job is a stepping-stone/advancement for my career or if it is 'just a job'.  Other considerations would be if I could get a similar job closer to home and what type of commuting I would be doing.  Driving is one thing, you're in car from door-to-door.  It's another to have to use multiple public transit routes ( I did that before between 2 different cities and would have to pay twice per direction to use 2 different transit buses ).  

My current job commute is between 20-30 minutes each way, depending on traffic but it's still within my comfort zone.  If my commute was double that, I may have some issue with it

• Katie

To work at all I spend 90 minutes commuting EACH way - walk, bus, walk.

ONLY YOU can place a value on the 25 minutes of not sleeping in of not playing with your child, cuddle time with your buddy or whatever it is you might do for the 25 minutes of not driving in each direction.

Think for a moment how much would you want to be paid to stay at work an extra 25 minutes or pay you would give up to play with the dog an extra 25 minutes?

How much is sleeping an extra 25 minutes worth to you?

Only YOU can place a value on YOUR time.

Some have a shorter commute than you and others have commutes of many hours in each direction.

• Scott

It depends on the amount of money involved. I would be willing to commute a lot further for say, $100k/yr than for $50k/yr.

• bo

two hours round trip not counting if a accident or bad weather

Depends on many factors:

1. How good is the job and how bad do I want to continue living where I'm living?

2. How stressful is the drive? an hour in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway is a lot more stressful than an hour of doing 50 mph down a back country highway (at least to me).

3. Are there carpool or public transit options available? If I can sit on a bus/train/vanpool playing or working on my phone or tablet that's different than having to be in the driver's seat focused on driving.I usually look for housing within 30 minutes of work when I move but I have had longer commutes at times in my life when it made sense.

• Anton
      1 month agoReport

Instead of "an hour in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway" I did 20 minutes splitting lanes on a motorcycle,

• CB

If the commute is a consistently 45 minutes not a bad choice. Where I live I commute 25-30 minutes in the morning but the evening is always a crap-shoot up to 1 hour....and always over 40 minutes.

45 minutes is fine. You can sing along with the radio to pass the time.