lily asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Very nervous of flying alone (19) I really need advice. 10 pts?

Hi I’m flying alone next Thursday to visit my boyfriend In New York. from boston to New York. It’s only hour which is good. I’m getting into new York at 8:30 pm so I’m little nervous of flying in dark... is it stats? I also don’t have my license yet, because i got into accident and was so scared of driving again. can I use passport for identification? I’m worried I’ll miss my flight or not knowing how to get around airport. I obviously never flew alone before. Very anxious . What if I it crashes. Worried about going through airport alone. I think I’ll be fine on plane. just don’t know what to do when I get to airport and to I wait for my plane. What if I’m in the wrong gate? Or what if security doesn’t let me in because of a passport?? I really need advice I am really freaking out. How far can my mom go? I know she can’t go through security but can she go when I check in. I just don’t know what to do when I get to airport. I need details

• MS

1.  You can use your passport as long as it hasn't expired.  That is not a problem at all and will not give you any problems at security.

2.  It is very hard to get lost in the airport.  There are signs everywhere, and plenty of people who can direct you if you have questions. 

3.  Get to the airport extra early since you are nervous about getting around.

4.  The flight information will be posted at the gate; as long as the posted information matches the flight information on your boarding pass, then you are in the right place.

5.  Your mom can go as far as security, but not beyond.

6.  Your plane is not likely to crash.  Plane crashes are exceptionally rare.  Exceptionally.

It certainly is terrifying when you are in a thin metal tube with tens of thousands of parts, hurtling at 450 mph a mile up in the air and the only way the pilot can "see" is with these invisiable radar signals

Yes, it is safe.

Your passport is more than sufficient as ID.  You will not have a problem if your passport is current. 

Apply for a MA state ID card that is REAL ID compliant:

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-massachuse...

Your mother can go with you to the TSA checkpoint.  Once through the checkpoint you just follow the signs to the gate for your flight. 

It's not a big deal.  You'll be fine.  A passport will work as identification as long as it hasn't expired.

You should be able to check in online 24 hours before your flight.  If you don't already have a seat assignment, that's when you'll get it.  You should also have the option to print out your boarding pass at home at this point.  The day of the flight, if you have luggage to check, just go to the airline's check-in desk at the airport.  They'll take care of your luggage and print you a boarding pass if you don't already have one.  If you don't have luggage to check, and you haven't printed a boarding pass, you can go to the desk or a kiosk.  Just enter your name and conformation number and it will print the boarding pass for you.  Once you have a boarding pass you get to go through Security.  Your mother won't be allowed past this point.  Present your boarding pass and ID to get through Security.  Any liquids will need to be less than 3.4 ounces, and all of them must fit in one clear plastic ziploc bag.  No drinks are allowed either.  Once you're past Security, there will be board with information about gates and if flights are on time.  You can check them periodically.  Most airlines have apps you can install on your phone that will alert you to delays and gate changes as well.  Just check the app and boards to make sure everything is still on time and you'll be fine.

I recommend getting to the airport 90 minutes or so before your flight leaves.