Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

I like drizzling it over asparagus and baking it a few minutes in the oven. I read it can be toxic to overheat olive oil, so is it safe or not

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anton
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Anyone that said Extra Virgin Olive Oil "CAN" be toxic is biased.  It "CAN" in a million to one chance.

Whatever. 

Use the Extra Virgin Olive Oil for eating, a few minutes in the over will not NOTHING to the oil.

I have been using "pure" olive oil for deep frying for over 20 years.  It does NOT smoke/burn/etc..  Smoke point is somewhere 425°F, I deep fry at 350 to 375°F.

On the skillet, I use butter, olive oil, or avocado oil; depending on how hot it will be getting.

Attachment image
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

too greasy and will repeat on you

• 1 month ago

No i like to **** the olives before pressing them to make oil.

• 1 month ago

It's not toxic to over heat it. it will just burn and make smoke

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

When you heat oil beyond it’s smoking point you are burning it and it is turning into trans fats. You will know this is happening because the oil will be smoking.

You can google for a chart of the smoking point of various oils.

• 1 month ago

I think you were misinformed. I cook almost exclusively with EVOO. Try this with your asparagus: Snap off the woody bottoms and put it in a large zip bag with a teaspoon of olive oil. Massage the asparagus until every stalk is coated. Crumple foil and smooth it out to cover a cookie sheet. Lay out the asparagus on the baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Enjoy.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your asparagus idea sounds nice, I'd add a couple of 'dots' of butter & a little drizzle of balsamic, to make the flavour 'pop'.

Otherwise I'd use E, V, O, oil for just drizzling and dressings.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course it isn't toxic. It is kind of a waste of money to cook with EV olive oil, because the flavor breaks down Saying that it's "toxic" is ridiculous.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What they mean is that it's not a good oil for deep frying.

• 1 month ago

The temperature that you are using is fine. The smoke point is between 320 and 405 degrees F depending on the quality of the olive oil.   

Vegetable oil smoke point is 425 degrees F. 

The few minutes that you have it in the oven is not going to harm anything. 

• Anton
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

WHAT "Vegetable oil?"  Corn, soy, peanut, coconut, olive (it IS a vegetable oil,) rapeseed, etc.; if and how refined; according to who's list.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you'd eat burned olive oil in the first place, you deserve what you get.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.