Real estate question. What do you do if you get a over-priced repair bid on your property that you're trying to sell?

I'm selling a property in California and I had a pest report done and the pest guy overpriced the bid of repairs on my house (in California you have to disclose the price to the buyers) what do I do now? Should I have a contractor come out and do a bid to counteract the pest guys bid? 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Just call a 2nd pest control guy and get a 2nd quote. If the repair involves termite damage then this could really cost more than you think, but these are also the ones that they sometimes do overcharge you on (figuring you have to get the repair done, you probably don't really know what's involved and you are often in a huge hurry to make the repairs).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You ALWAYS get multiple estimates.

• 1 month ago

Of course you should get another bid. And no, you do not have to disclose the prices you are quoted to any prospective buyers. you DO have to disclose the repairs that need to be made/pests that need to be eliminated, however. 

• 1 month ago

Just because you got a bid does not obligate you to hire them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

To counteract...for what purpose.

Get three estimates from different companies...pick the one you like the most (probably lowest pricing).  

How do you even know if the repair estimate/bid is overpriced if you havent had anyone else offer a price?  

If you are looking up the price of parts/equipment...stop wasting your time.  

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

get another bid

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can get as many bids as you want. In order expedite the sale, you might consider having the repairs done yourself.

• 1 month ago

The smart thing might be to get the repairs done before you try to sell.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

He has to do the repairs before he sells.  In California, you are required to get a termite report (which he has done) and do the necessary repairs before the closing. 

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i guess so .. jack the selling price up to cover it lol ..

• 1 month ago

Get a second opinion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.