I emailed an author about how much their book meant to me. They responded, do I email back saying thank you?

I emailed my favorite author and told her how much her book about a gay girl growing up in the Midwest meant to me and how it made me feel so understood and represented. To my surprise, she emailed me back saying that it means so much to her that her book made me feel less alone in the world and how she feels lucky to have readers like me. I don’t want to ruin the whole interaction - so o I respond or not? It would feel weird not to, almost like I’m leaving her ‘on read’. But I also don’t want to be excessive when she already responded in the first place. What do you think I should do?

Why not? I have written to several writers. They have written back. I have a small collection of their letters and postcards. It is nice.

I don't see why you shouldn't write very briefly once more to thank her for being kind enough to reply; but word it in such a way that it's clear you understand the interaction is now over.

That doesn't mean you can't write to her again later on a different subject.

I would thank her for her response and for writing the book in the first place

• j153e

She's a real human being--busy--and she's also an author, solitary, writing her dreams and feelings for others.

You have already emailed her that you love her helpful-to-you work.  You would be personalizing the communication to tell her that you love her personal email (how could you not?).  So, that's not news, but more a personalizing, date-the-author shtick.  You've already sent a true, adoring email appreciating her work.  To do more would be unduly intimate.

You might read another of her books, and, if you like that, email her your feelings about that.  Unless in an email she asks you a question (e.g., "What did you especially like about character Y?"), keep your communication on the read-the-book, like-the-book, and email-the-author-your-gratitude level.

• Speed

No further response is necessary--or appropriate. These things can quickly devolve into an annoyance for the author you so enjoy. "Thanks for your kind reply." "You're very kind to say so." "I appreciate your response more than you know. Love the book!" "Oh, god, it's that lilo again..."

But as it stands right now, you've probably made her day. That's the perfect ending place.

• Cogito

No, don't respond.  She was very kind to reply to your comment, but it's overkill to continue.

I see no problem with it if you’re polite and thank them for taking the time out of their day to respond.