Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

is it hypocritical to be into buddhist philosophy while also being into psychedelics?

or broadly speaking a wide branch of eastern philosophies like hinduism, buddhism, taoism

while also being into psychedelics like lsd, shrooms. dmt, and even weed

Yes. Meditation and chigung (qigong) and martial arts all try to help our bodies and minds function correctly. Psychedelics make our brains function incorrectly. You can't have it both ways.

If you think the Beatles were hypocrites then I guess it is.

I personally think one is entirely free to disagree with that ONE Buddhist tenet that says steer clear of all intoxicants, always. Or to interpret it in a less restrictive way. Whatever. You can use psychedelics, and still agree with and benefit from other parts of Buddhism. And no, that is NOT hypocritical.

However..? There is definitely a difference between being a free-thinking spiritual person who says: "I'm inspired by Buddhism", versus claiming to be a totally orthodox Buddhist, who follows ALL their precepts. If you do the latter, but you still use psychedelics..? That's hypocritical, I'd say. But as long as you don't lie, and you don't pretend to be someone who follows ALL the precepts, including the anti all intoxicants one..? Then okay. Or at least, that's my opinion.

Source(s): Psychedelic person. Spiritual person. Not claiming to be a totally orthodox ANYTHING.

No but it's phony to post a question asking it.

More power to you but the mind can only open up so much so throttle down