Can you use a router as a biscuit joiner?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The first 2 answers are inaccurate. A biscuit joiner actually IS a router with specialized guides for use on the edge of boards.

Update to comment:

elhigh: Once again YOU are DEAD WRONG because you don't THINK. A biscuit joiner is NOTHING like an angle grinder.Note: YOUR comment to David B is DIRECT CONFIRMATION of my claim.

• M.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We used the table saw with a "spline" to join pieces of wood at the edges.

We used the router with short splines before biscuit machines were available.

A biscuit machine is set up to work quickly.  A router would take some set-up with a "fence" to control the deoth of the cut and some kind of mark on the router to center the router at the desired marked/measured location on the mating boards.

-I'm an automotive mechanic and a metal machinist, but I have worked in a commercial "cabinet" shop with many kinds of equipment and tools.  Some equipment and some tools we had to make to fit the situation.

• M.
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

deoth = depth (typo, sorry)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If you want to make biscuit joints, you don't have to buy a biscuit joiner. ... There are two situations where a router can't substitute for a biscuit joiner: A router can cut slots only along the edges of a board, not across its face; and it can only cut along square edges, not beveled ones.

'

here is a cheap attachment that works really well.

'

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-Biscuit-Co...

• ...Show all comments
    • STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

A router CAN cut into the face of a board and CAN cut into beveled edges. NEITHER even requires accessories.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Absolutely. You can get a bit specifically for the purpose.

Source(s): I've done it. I have a router and I have the bit.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is an adapter that one can attach to it, very easy and works wonderful for biscuit work. Don't remember the name, nor even where i got mine from, it's well over twenty years old.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can use a router but you’ll need a slot cutter router bit and biscuits that are sized properly for the bit. 

• 1 month ago

If you have the right bit for your router and set it up correctly you can use it as a biscuit joiner. It would take a bit of experimenting to get it right but it can be done. I say this because I have done it. 

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The purpose of having the right tools is so that the work can be done with less skill.   Using only a router to cut the slots to join boards with the accuracy required for that work is artisan class. 

• 1 month ago

Dave is correct there are other ways but he knows you wouldn't ask this Question if you had the experience it's all about safety with electric tools  be careful .

• Gary Jae1 month agoReport

Thanks for the answer

• 1 month ago

No, Using a router on the edge of most things is dangerous because of the lack of stability. Also, the biscuit joiner has a round blade that matches the curve of the biscuit. One thing that makes biscuits work is the fact that the biscuit swells as a result of the glue used. a tight fit is necessary to make a joint that won't fail. A router would not do this even with the correct diameter bit as the cut would not provide the same profile of the round biscuit joiner blade.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.