People who buy used cars just replace it in a few years. Whereas new car buyers retain it longer . ?

What do you say?

Used Cars = less depreciation, can sell with little loss or flip for profit

New Cars = huge depreciation, guarantee loss might as well keep for longer

Depends on the overall condition of the car when purchased used and how much they paid for it. If you only buy used cars for less than $5,000 each that originally cost $20K to $30K each, then you still save a huge amount of money if you trade it in five or ten years down the road versus a new car every five or ten years. Some people but used cars cheap, don't do any maintenance on them and get rid of them when something expensive goes wrong.

I have a used car that I bought used twenty years ago,  still own it. When it got old enough to wear "antique" plates I bought another used vehicle (a pick up) that I have owned for over five years now.

Those who buy new lost more in deprecation when they signed the paper work.

I am not unique, those new cars get sold "used" some time (often more then once).

Most people do replace their car on the average of every 7.3 years and it if they are the type that buys used, they replace with used. If they are the type that buys new then they replace with them with a new car.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

Not "antique": Historical Vehicle. Which Dont Mean ****. A '74 Pinto is no classic, never will be.

• arther

it seams some people buy a new car every two or three years others buy a 2nd hand car and drive it for 10 years. Theres all ways plenty of 3 year old cars to buy. Driving the latest modle car has kept some of my friends broke for the last 20 years some of these people don't own anything they'd be lucky if finished paying off the loan before upgrading.

• Anton

Are you blind?  Stupid?  Just look at the MANY late model used cars on a new dealer's used car lot.  If "new car buyers retain it longer" WTF would those late model used car come from?

People buy new because they want the new car warranty and to keep ahead of the Jones.

Most people that buy new cars sell them back to the same dealer to get a newer car.

Used car buyers generally run a car until it drops.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

Used buyers generally rebuild and restore. New owners  keep it until it starts to shoo its age. Very Sad to hear  your  new car start to make noise after ten years. 

NOT SO! IT is more efficeitn to buy USED CAR and maintain it properly than to buy NEW over and over again! The PRICES gouge you for NEW! My best cars cost from $500 to $7000. Had TWO used BENZ cars for about $3,000 each, and they ROCKED at 32 mpg and cruise like SILK! BY THE WAY> BENZ is the only car I know of that seves gas when you use the AC system! HOW???? they run the AC lines through the ICE COLD AC line to chill the fuel! AMAZING and SMART< TOO! I though I invented this thing! BYE NOW!

• Jay P

I say that's a very broad statement that is not entirely true based on my own experiences as well as those of my family, friends, and colleagues.

i say I am tired of the same questions over & over for months on end from you.

I bought my used Jeep in 2004. 

New cars depreciate a lot in the first few years so trading in early would be costly. Used cars have already depreciated so the cost to change is significantly lessened.