Considering making a makeshift bookcase and have some questions?

Yeah, I'm female and my little shop projects would make an 8th grader shudder. But getting past that.

I have two longish, narrow pieces of wood I would like to cut up into shelves. I could do it myself but don't have anything to sit them on for sawing, and, anyway, it would be easier to take it to someone who could do it, zip zip, for a small fee.

What kind of business should I look for that I could take it to that could do that? Also might ask them to drill two holes in the end of each shelf.

Also, what sort of business could sand down the edges of a broken glass piece to save it but not allow it to hurt anyone?

Also, saw a long, thin metal object in the drywall section of the local Home Depot. It was not labeled and the store was closing so I didn't get the name, but it was like a very thin, very long ladder with about seven or eight rungs, but not really a ladder, probably a brace of some sort. Do you know the name of it?

Thanking for any help.

Favorite Answer

It is easy to cut wood by hand. Lay a set of steps on their side to make a temporary saw horse, mark a line and saw. For the cost of getting someone else to cut it, you might as well buy an ikea bookcase.

Take glass to a glazier to have the edge worked or cover the ege with duct tape.

• SumDude
      1 month agoReport

at Olive - A "joke" (which is unfortunately too real) is to use the kitchen table as a "sawhorse."  OOPS ! My wife is behind me and scowling (!)

• roger

I  would  buy the  bricks that you will use to  support the   shelves and use them  to hold the  wood for sawing.

• olive_r1 month agoReport

That's a great idea ... except that bricks aren't part of my decor, lol

• bond

Dont you have a guy friend or relative with a saw

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Well, my roommate is hopeless for that,e.g., can work on a computer but not on a computer, if you now what i mean

stop by any construction site and flirt with the guys a little and they’ll cut them for free

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Ha, ha, ha ... if I don't give you best answer, please forgive me ... you deserve it! Atually, at my age, I'll probably have to give them lemonade, but same idee, thanks : )

A friend. Otherwise the cost is greater than buying an inexpensive unit at a store (like Ikea, or local "miscellaneous" store [are you aware of Big Lots ?] or a thrift store).

• SumDude
      1 month agoReport

Note: for good alignment and fitting, one should cut with a table saw to get perfectly straight edges.

Your local home dpeot will cut wood for you if you buy it there. It might be cheaper to buy a shelf there and get them to cut it, or just buy short pieces for shelves. Hiring someone to cut wood would be expensive. 

To sand down glass, go to a place where they sell car repair stuff and buy a sheet of fine car body rubbing paper. It is gray and quite cheap. You can rub the glass down yourself with that. Wear gloves though. 

Finally, look things up on Youtube. You can find videos on how to do anything there. Just type in - how to  . . . followed by whatever you are trying to do. 

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Thank you for the good tip about the glass-sanding paper.

You aren’t going to find any sort of business who will do either of these things for you.

Maybe a handyman, but it won’t be cheap.

You are probably better off buying a bookcase at a thrift store or yard sale.

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Yes, i have been checking out thrift stores. Thanks.

• DEBS

Home Depot cuts wood you buy there.  I doubt they'll do it for wood you bring in, but you could try.  Otherwise, a handyman could help you with most of that.  The glass a handyman might have a tool to help, but that's not a common thing.  If you really want to keep it, you could just tape the edges or better yet fold cardboard a few inches up the edge and tape that to it.  

• DEBS
      1 month agoReport

They cut down to the 8th of an inch and are as accurate as needed for a shelf.  

What do you plan to use to support the shelves after they are cut?

Would that work to support then while cutting?

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Thanks ... actually thinking of using those odd metal things i found at Home Depot., I thought I might lash the shelves between the metal things at every other rung. Thanks for asking.

handyman in craigslist

• olive_r1 month agoReport

Woman gets cut up by handyman she found on Craigs List, lol. But thanks.