SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH BUYING CARS ?

Im about to be 18 i have no one That can teach me how to drive but i really need to learn. Soon i will be doing my 6 hours. But in the mean time i need to understand how to buy a car. Can someone just go over the basics with me. Because i know absolutely nothing! ( warning i might ask some pretty dumb questions ) 

1. How much would you spend on a car?

2. What is the best brands for a beginner?

3. After watching a couple of videos people where saying that you shouldn't spend no more then 2,500-5,000 which didn't make sense to me because on car websites they all cost above 20,000. How is it that you pay 5,000?

4. How do you set up insurance and whats the best? 

5. How do you negotiate?

6. Is it better to buy a new or used car? 

7. Whats a stick & automatic? Which is better? 

Im not rich so im not going to buy an expensive car, just a good one that will last a couple of years. I am starting to save up now. I know some of these questions are stupid but I really know nothing about cars ( and yes i passed the written test already)

• Jay P

If you don't know what to look for when used car shopping, I suggest you find a family member or friend that is both knowledgeable regarding vehicles and a decent negotiator to come along with you and help you shop around.  While you're shopping for your first ride, it's very easy to become enamoured with a vehicle and overlook sometimes glaring obvious faults.

Most older men will help you

For your first car buy something used, cheap and small. Otherwise the insurance will kill you. Also a used car won't break your heart when you put a few dents in it, as kids usually do.

• Ron

No. Wrong forum for that bs. Google the subject

Do a Google search on "car buying for teens", "car insurance basics", "how to negotiate a car purchase." There's a ton of information out there; you just have to go look for it.

• Bort

1. How much would you spend on a car?

It depends on what vehicle you want. My preference is a full sized SUV so that's what I buy. I've also had pickup trucks and cars. The most I've spend on a vehicle is $52k, the least I've bought a car for was a camaro I bought for $150 (also traded a car body they wanted I had sitting around). For a new driver I would suggest not spending over $18k for a new car. It's probably best you get a used car. It will teach you things you need to learn.  

2. What is the best brands for a beginner?Honda Civic3. After watching a couple of videos people where saying that you shouldn't spend no more then 2,500-5,000 which didn't make sense to me because on car websites they all cost above 20,000. How is it that you pay 5,000?Used cars are usually a lot cheaper. The vehicles you see on dealer sites in the 15 to 20 thousand dollar price range are newer and less used. 4. How do you set up insurance and whats the best? You simply call them up after you purchase a vehicle and get a quote. They'll walk you through everything. 5. How do you negotiate?Negotiate what? The price of a car? You simply make an offer you're willing to pay. The seller either accepts or declines or asks for another amount. If you've ever seen the TV show pawn stars how they negotiate prices with people is the same way the price for anything is negotiated. 6. Is it better to buy a new or used car?  Buy used for your first car. It will be cheaper so you can afford more easily. A used car will teach you things about driving, and life, that you need to learn. 7. Whats a stick & automatic? Which is better?They are transmission types. The driver has to manually shift a "stick" between gears, an automatic shift's it self. Driving a manual ("stick") requires some skill that you need to be taught so an automatic is best for you. Neither is really better than the other but when you learn and know how to drive a manual transmission properly it can be of benefit because there are ways to drive a manual to get more fuel mileage and a person has more control over the vehicle with a manual than they do with an automatic.  

• arther

rule of thumb if the drivers seat is rooted so is the rest of the car as someones fat bum has spent a lot of time in the seat. Check every thing works when looking under the bonnet if the engine is covered in oil no good some seepage is acceptable but as they are trying to sell it they will have most likely cleaned the engine, oil dripping on the road is no good look under the car for oil leaks, When driving the car does it steer straight, stay straight and not shudder will braking on a straight road, no strange noises or vibrations , its not pissing smoke out the exhaust when you give it full accelerator, the transmission shifts smoothly no bangs clunks or slow shifts. how much tread is on the tyres will you be replacing them?

Allow to do the brakes on what ever you buy if it doesn't need them done you've saved some money.

• Tj

Try to find a older neighbor/relative to help you. Most older men will help you.

You ask your parents for help.