Why is chicago so expensive ?

I pay 650 month to feel like in prison with no spending money after paying rent working my butt off, my fault for not going to college right?

I feel you. If it makes you feel any better, I have my masters degree and I still cant afford to live on my own in Chicago. Plus tens of thousands in loans to pay off yay...

My advice: get a roommate!!!

I know its getting expensive as taxes keep going up and cost of living but pay goes down.  And to be honest me and many other like me regret going to college!  If I could it over I would do things differently and I would NOT go to college! Big waste of time and money and I know people who went longer than me who struggle even worse than me

Supply and Demand.

And Taxes.

My average-sized Chicago bungalow in a nice neighborhood in Chicago cost as much as, no exaggerating, seven similar houses in a similar neighborhood in my hometown.

What’s the difference?

Chicago has a population of just under three million people and is surrounded by other cities (suburbs). My hometown has about 30 thousand people and is surrounded by forests and fields. There’s not much demand for houses in my old hometown, so the prices aren’t as high.

That’s true for most things in Chicago, not just real estate. I know teachers who do one-on-one test prep with students over the summer. They charge $125 an hour for it, and they have waiting lists of parents who are willing to pay that much for their kids to get the tutoring. That same tutor would be lucky to make $25 an hour for that same service in a small town, because there’s not as much demand.

Local taxes tend to be higher in large cities as well. This is either because the city provides services for people, or a whole lot of government corruption, depending on the political leanings of the person you ask.

• Kyle

join the military.  while the life style isn't for everyone, plenty of people join for job training and to learn valuable skills.  there are hundreds that aren't all combat or infantry related.  most jobs are only four years long too. they provide money for housing or live on base.  then you can use the GI Bill if you want to try college to enhance your skills.  but a lot of companies will take years of training and experience any day.  you might be surprised of the jobs the military has to offer.  do some research.  then see a recruiter to see if you qualify and next steps.  

Housing costs in Chicago are about average for a large city - maybe even a little low.  

In better neighborhoods and better suburbs in the area, rentals for a one-bedroom apartment can run from $1500 and up.

College has nothing much to do with your income.  There are lots of college graduates who wasted time and money learning nothing that is marketable on the job market (for instance, majors in literature, philosophy, lesbian studies, etc.).  But skilled trades people make very nice incomes.

• Richard
      1 month agoReport

My $1500 figure is based on the upper-middle income suburbs and some of the better apartment buildings in nicer, low-crime parts of Chicago.

Because it's not Detroit.

$650 a month is really cheap. Most places in the U.S. that aren't in Michigan are much more expensive. And in major cities (New York, Los Angeles, etc.), again with the exception of Detroit, even $2000 would be fairly normal, or even cheap. $650 is not "so expensive".

Lol. If you think Chicago is expensive don’t move to San Francisco.

Chicago is a good median priced city IMO because you see a wide spectrum of income levels all over the city. You can rent & live in some areas for less than $700/month (although they probably aren't the most fun or safest areas) and in contrast you can easily find nicer safe apartments to rent for $2,000/month. From what a Facebook user told me. So it depends the situation you're into. 

not going to college is no excuse for your problem. You just need to find ways to make working your butt off pay better. 

Oh, and think of it this way: many people who went to college are no better off than you are.

Because the people who designed that us state decided to make it expensive