Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

how do you I tell my doctor sensitive information without being embarrassed?

I am going to my docs next month for a health update and the fact that he wants to see me. I will be bringing to the table that I think I have IBS now as well. I am writing out my IBS report for my doc so he can see what symptoms I have and what triggers me and all. my doc is male and I am female which is important here because there are some sensitive thing that I need to tell my doc but I am to embarrassed to tell him, even thought he needs to know about it. with the IBS I got constipated a few times really badly and had to use an enema to get rid of the problem and I also used suppositories a few times as well. I know my doc needs to know this so he can help me but I feel embarrassed to him even though he is a doctor and has heard it before I am just still embarrassed. so how do I tell my doc in a not embarrassing way that I have used enemas and suppositories a few times to help with my symptoms?

Favorite Answer

Here are some ideas:

1. Realize that your doctor has seen and heard everything, and I mean EVERYTHING.  There is nothing that will shock them.

2. Your doctor can treat you effectively if you withhold critical information.

3. You are not there to find a date or get a job, right?  This isn't a guy you need to impress. This is a guy whose expertise you need.  

4. Write it down and hand him the paper. 

5.  If you seriously can't speak up in front of this doctor, find a different doctor.  Many people has greater embarrassment when talking to a medical professional of the opposite sex.  If that is you, find a gastroenterologist who is female.  

It is possible to "embarrass yourself to death" by not talking to your doctor.  Doctors are required to keep your medical records confidential.

• Ann

IBS is a condition that can destroy your digestive system.  It is not a sexually transmitted disease, which would in fact, be an embarrassing thing to reveal.  You cannot expect your dr., who is a trained medical professional who is familiar with the entire human body, to properly treat you if you don't reveal what is wrong. Believe me, enemas and suppositories are not embarrassing subjects for drs. 

• Tj

You will not shock him, he has heard it all over and over. Maybe you should think about a female doctor if you would be more at ease.

• thumper1 month agoReport

I really like my doc a lot he is the only one that cares about me in the medical field.  it is just that he is male and I had him for years and never shared this before and also he is handsome and I think that might be part of my problem as to why I do not want to tell him

• Jerry

If you're saying it here to the world...how can it be embarrassing to tell your Dr.??

• k w

a quack !? really ? just read this, it's no secret and it's alphabetical too;

• Eva

He's seen and heard it all before. Just state it matter-of-factly and be done with it. IBS can be so hard to alleviate. I hope he's able to help you.