Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 4 months ago

C+ - incrementing value of integer x help understand?

So an integer x has been assigned to a value of 7. I have some code below and I understand that the prefix line adds 1 to 7, printing 8. I understand postfix adds 1 to 7, printing 8. But I don't understand why the 'next' line prints 9. Like it's just printing the value of x, there's no increment or any special function that alters the value of x in that line. I don't understand why simply printing the value of x gives 9 instead of 7, the original value of x? Can someone explain?

To play around, I printed the value of x a 2nd time and it once again gives 9. I don't understand why. If I had to guess, I would say it's because there are 2 increment operations which add 1 and 1 to the value of 7. But then I don't understand why the 2nd line 'postfix' gives 8 instead of 9. Shouldn't it be incrementing from the updated value of 8 from the first line instead of the original value of 7?  cout << "prefix: " << ++x << endl; //8  cout << "postfix: " << x++ << endl; //8  cout << "next: " << x << endl; //9  cout << "next: " << x << endl; //9

Update:

Formatting code better:

cout << "prefix: " << ++x << endl; //8 

cout << "postfix: " << x++ << endl; //8 

cout << "next: " << x << endl; //9 

cout << "next: " << x << endl; //9

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Prefix increments the variable before anything is said and done. Postfix increments the variable after everything is said and done.

So if the value of the variable is 7, and you say, cout << x++; then the printout will still be 7 since postfix increments the variable AFTER everything is said and done, you know, like AFTER printing out it's value. Then the next time just plain x is printed it will show 8 from the postfix.

In other words, postfix prints out the current value of x and then, just before leaving and turning out the lights, x is bumped up one. Then the next time x is printed it will show 8.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

Because it is increment after the assignment 74++ = 75

• 4 months ago

Since you're confused, don't use autoincrement this way.

Always put it on a line by itself.

Make your code more readable.  If you can't read it yourself, you also can't expect anyone else to read it.

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

First line adds 1 to 7 and prints that.  Now x = 8.

Second line prints the x, which is 8, and then adds 1 to it.  Now x is 9.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Prefix performs the addition operation, stores the result in the variable, and returns the CURRENT result

Postfix performs the addition operation, stores the result in the variable, and returns the ORIGINAL value

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.