*Rent*: What would I need to pay? ?

So we just moved into my parents home on February 13th. They’re charging us a full months rent after telling us they didn’t want any money upfront. Makes no sense to me. Their rent is due every 20th of the month. But we have only been there since February 13th. So to shut them up we ended up paying. Their explanation or excuse is that us paying a full month covers till March 20th. And then when we pay on March 20th it’ll cover it till April 20th. 

Still makes no sense to me. 

If they want the payments to run from the 20th through the 20th, that's their choice. It is not how commercial/residential properties are rented but for an individual's house, it's up to them. Why make such a big deal about it? It isn't costing you any more.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Amy

What part of that doesn't make sense? 

If you pay one month of rent on Feb 20, that would cover from February 20 through March 19. Then you pay on March 20 for the next month.

It kinda sucks that your first payment was for the shortest month of the year, but on the other hand your parents generously didn't charge you for the first week you lived there.

• Eva

Rent for the month is paid at the beginning of the period, not at the end.

Currently I am paying my rent near the end of each month, but I could pay at the end of each month, for the next month, and it keeps on going.

Whenever I move into somewhere new then I would pay my rent, and then I would move my belongings to my new home.

This isn't hard to understand!

What makes no sense to me is you moving in your parent's home. Normally it's the other way around. In other words it's the children who should be leaving, or wanting to leave their parents.

Normally when someone moves in somewhere then he, or she would have to pay first, and last months rent. There might be a security deposit too depending on where people choose to live. I know there are places that require to pay in advance twice, or once per year, for rent.

Since you would be living with your parents then maybe they can cut you some slack, so instead of paying last months rent then you could just pay first months rent, and then continue paying, for each month. Maybe they could reduce your rent if you were on your own, and wanting to live with them. I think that would be fair. Your parents not charging you anything is a mistake. They should never have said that. Because you living with them would definitely increase their bills. If you just, so happen to be with your boyfriend, or girlfriend, husband, or wife, or if you are with another relative, or friend who doesn't do anything with his, or her life then that would definitely increase your parent's bills even more.

Regarding the amount of money you should be paying, and when it should be paid well that's a discussion that should be between your parents, and yourself.

You do realize them allowing you to stay with them is giving you an opportunity to become self sufficient. Eventually they will die. Once they die, and if you can't make it on your own when that happens then you might become homeless. Maybe they could give you their home after they die, but that would be their decision to make, You still will have bills to pay. You being unable to pay your bills would be a problem!!! If you are unable to maintain where you live then you might become homeless even if your parents were to give you their home after they die.

I think the last part of what you said makes sense to me. Paying from March 20th, and then having to pay again in April 20th.

They gave you a free week, why do not you understand?

• Maxi

Rent is always paid a month in advance, so if you paid 20 Feb( or before) one months rent and that takes you to 20 Mar...then they gave you more than a week rent free

Arbitrary lease date...seems weird, but it is what it is.  I would have asked to simply prorate the month to keep things clean...

Also, if your question is about paying the rent before the rental period...thats standard. 

their rent?  were they renting this home and you took over?

sounds like they aren't charging you up front for Feb 13-Feb 19, but want you to start paying as of Feb 20

You're paying a month in advance, which is standard practice. What's so hard to understand about rent not being due on the first of the month?

Rent is always paid at the beginning of the rental period.

Most leases say rent is due on the first day of the month, so you pay rent on March 1st, which pays for your right to live there from March 1st through March 31st.

So if your rent is due on the 20th day of the month, the rent you pay on (or before) February 20th buys you the right to live there from February 20th through March 19th. You owe another month of rent on March 20th, which will cover your obligation through April 19th and so on.

Lets say you move out on (or before) June 19th and you gave proper notice and you weren't on a long term lease. Then your last payment would have been on May 20th: That paid for May 20 through June 19th and if you're out by then you don't owe any additional rent.