Wanting to go enlisted instead of officer however...?

I m getting my bachelors degree in business and health and want to join the airforce.

Truth is i wanted to go enlisted due to the jobs and then officer. Is there a way to get it on paper that i m guaranteed to go to OTS after 2 to 4 years?

I would solve this problem by not joining at all.  They try to convince you it's so 'honorable' but how is being the government's cannon fodder honorable?

I was an Air Force Staff Sargent before I was commissioned through OTS.  At that time OTS had a shortage of Captain volunteers to serve as Flight Commanders (FC).  FCs are the equivalent of TIs at the enlisted basic training side.  I share this so that you understand my source to my answer.

Over the four years as an FC I counseled many of my trainees, men and women who claimed that their recruiter had made various promises and guarantees. Not one had those claims in writing.  There are no guarantees.  One trainee self-eliminated (SE) when he learned that for officers, every year of military tuition assistance will increase the service commitment beyond the four year "contract."   One young lady I know since she was a child was commissioned through college ROTC and earned a degree in engineering. She has been serving for 10 years and is now a Major and not an engineer in the Air Force. 

If you're serious about joining the military, then take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), complete your degree, then and only then see talk to a recruiter.    PS: Not even cadets at the USAF Academy are promised specific jobs.   

• David1 month agoReport

Sergeant

• Daniel

First, Air Force is two words, capitalized.  

Second, no, they aren't going to give you any guarantee of going to OTS.  If they were going to guarantee that, they would just send you.  When they look at enlisted Airmen applying to OTS, they take into account things like commander's endorsements and EPRs.  

• Daniel
      1 month agoReport

Not quite true.  USAFA cadets only have to take part of the AFOQT if they are trying to get a flying slot.  I never took the AFOQT.

• Cee

'Don't like your chances.

Eh...if you have a college degree, I think any of the services will guarantee you can eventually go to officers training if you otherwise qualify (e.g., physical, discipline).

I'm guessing they didn't have ROTC at your school.

1. It's Air Force.

2. No, you can't get a guarantee of OTS

3. Going enlisted will actually decrease your chances of a commission.

nope

you enlist or apply for OTS

and since they don't hold non flight OTS boards anymore except for prior service

means without the academy or AFROTC, there is no route to be an air force officer

• Not so.  OTS is still an option for civilians and enlisted.  In fact in 2019 OTS introduced two short versions of OTS for Air Force only enlisted NCOs.  The course for the senior USAF NCOs is 14 days long and for the lower Staff & Techs is plus/minus six weeks.

• Mrsjvb

None whatsoever.  If you enlist, expect to remain so.  In fact it is even harder to get a commission from within 

There is never a guarantee you will be picked up as an Officer whether you go in as Enlisted first or not. Two very different things and Recruiters. It all depends on the needs at that time.  If you want to be an Officer even just going in without doing AFROTC or the Academy is difficult. 

"Is there a way to get it on paper that i m guaranteed to go to OTS after 2 to 4 years?" Nope. If you enlist you will have to apply like any other enlisted person for an OTS opening.