Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Why don't mothers cook meals from scratch like in the olden days anymore?

Favorite Answer

Due to inflation and the endless new products that families buy, two income families are needed to pay for it all.  Single mothers who are not earning alot of money, need to work longer hours, so cooking time is limited.

Howsoever, the organized household knows how to shop and prepare meals while maintaining a balanced and nutritious eating plan.

With so many prepared foods available in our super markets, it is ultra easy to buy premade foods, which are simple to heat and serve.

Many teenagers do not learn how to cook and therefore, they repeat the same eating habits that they grew up with when they leave home.

My two sons are in their early thirties and I taught them how to prepare and cook meals. We cooked as a family as a fun activity to share and learn.  I had this HIT {Husbands In Training} list for my boys.  This HIT list included teaching them how to cook, clean, wash clothes and toilets.  I figured if I was ever going to get a good daughter-in-law, I had to raise boys that would turn into good men.  It worked!!  LOL

• Foofa

Some do but most have to work full-time just to help buy the food they serve. Salaries and wages haven't kept up with cost of living increases since about the 1970's. So even if a woman has a partner who earns the average income she usually still has to work and earn just as much to get by. A lot of working people will cook on the weekends on stockpile food in the freezer to use throughout the work week.

• Edna

A majority of mothers these days have to work outside the home, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They don't have enough time to cook meals from scratch like in the olden days.

BC sooner or later someone will cry its racist or something  so why bother?

• denise

A lot of them still do,  I did today:

Steak and mushroom pie, gravy & roast potatoes, for our dinner.

Because now it's someone else's turn.

Because there are more moms working outside the home.  They simply don't have the time.

This is what has fueled the junk that people eat today and think is normal to be eating. It is not. They don't cook anymore because they don't have the time

• polly

Because they're time poor & ready made meals are so convenient, affordable & there's no clean up mess or food waste

maybe they dont have time to do it as much anymore