What do mansion/luxury home owners do? What’s their occupation?

I live in an area surrounded by lots of rich counties and cities/towns (Northern Va/DC area). I work as a dump truck driver and usually haul stone to new houses being built and I usually go through these area full of beautiful houses. But I’ve always wondered, what are the different things these owners are doing? It’s strange, I never see anyone outside of these huge houses. It’s like they’re never there. Really, what are people doing to pay over 30k a month for a multimillion dollar home. I know that up north there are a lot of congressmen and government people. But what are the others doing?

I added a photo of a house for sale near my area 

The congressmen and government people dont live there...those homes are owned by the people with real money.  We're talking business people (think CEOs and CFOs of large companies), doctors, lawyers, etc.  Around DC...lobbyists come to mind.   

Dont forget, in and around most major international cities...there are lots of foreigners as well who buy property.  

Yeah, NoVA has some super wealthy areas.  

As for the residents, if you have a $30k mortgage on your home...you probably have more than one home.  I know people who only go to a house they own one week a year.  They'd like to go more, but they're always working.  Additionally, if your house was that nice, do you think you'd be standing around outside?  

It's DC, most of them work at various government agencies, or better yet, lobbying government officials. Welcome to the swamp.

Business owners, doctors, lawyers, dentists, other high paid professionals, etc.   

Most own businesses. They are at work. I met a guy the other day that owned one of those. He owns 32 aircraft mechanic training schools, the one they always advertise on tv. Others are atheletes, musicians, etc. In NOVA many own government contracting business, like owning a drone company they can sell to the military, or maybe their co wrote all the software on Govt computers, etc